lubrication question for Craftsman lathe

I'm very sorry - I meant Tractor Supply, not Harbor Freight. :oops:

But I just checked the Tractor Supply website - they don't list it. I purchased some from them about 2 years ago.

Someone on I think the A-C Group on groups.io reported that last time that he looked for it at Tractor Supply he found a couple of gallons on the store's Clearance table. SAE 20 crosses roughly to ISO 68. I've been using Moble Heavy Medium Circulating Oil ISO 68 for several years.

Last edited:
I buy non-detergent #20 oil from O'Reillys for my air compressor. Use it on my lathe also. It runs about $10/ gallon, you need to go to the website and find it and order it online and pick it up.

Bob

That is good to know. I used to buy SAE 20 from the auto parts store that's now O'Reillys but they quit carrying it. Could you post the pertinent URL?

If I remember when I get home, I'll check the container to make sure of the brand.

Bob

AW,(anti-wear),hydraulic oil in all sorts of weights is available everywhere in the world. Basically any hydraulic oil will do as hydraulic machinery uses plain, roller, taper bearings, vanes and gears in pumps and gears in gearboxes. If you live in any center of civilisation some nearby sells hydraulic oil.
DO NOT use an automotive multi-viscosity oil as it is designed for totally different operating conditions. The weight you use can vary depending on the local temperature.
Look up lubrication in your local telephone book and find a company near you and ask questions I think you will be very happy with the help you recieve.
Here's a bit of info on a flyer from one company and there is a wealth of information available online from all oil companies. There are also crossover rating charts online: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/iso-grade-oil-d_1207.html

Attachments

• SPEC OIL HYDRAULIC OIL ISO 32, 46, 68, 100, 150, 220.pdf
    72.6 KB · Views: 8
I recently bought a gallon of AW46 at O'Reilleys for around $16. Had it in stock on the shelf. I am using it for everything on my Craftsman 12 x 36 lathe. Since I don't use my lathe every day I give everything a quick shot of lube every time I use the lathe regardless of whether it is a daily, weekly or whatever recommended lube interval.

I recently bought a gallon of AW46 at O'Reilleys for around $16. Had it in stock on the shelf. I am using it for everything on my Craftsman 12 x 36 lathe. Since I don't use my lathe every day I give everything a quick shot of lube every time I use the lathe regardless of whether it is a daily, weekly or whatever recommended lube interval.

Looks like you use this:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...lic-fluid/74405/4601123?q=hydraulic+oil&pos=4

It's a bit thinner; does it fly off the machine, or is that not even an issue?

I live near LMS, so I bought some Mobil Vactra oil from them. I also got some Lubriplate. I'll try the SAE 20/ISO 68 oil and see what happens.

Back