lubrication question for Craftsman lathe

After having gone through all the same as the OP I gave up and went this way, I have no affiliation to this source.

http://bluechipmachineshop.com/bc_b...ing_wp_cron=1540675378.3803460597991943359375

Cheap, expensive I don't know. Is it the right oil? Well I hope so but it is what I am using. Came bottled up nicely.

FYI, I used 20W no detergent/ISO 68 which can also be called Indol on my headstock. It flung it all over the place when it was running and pretty much dripped out when it wasn't running.

jsh,

If you put oil of almost any reasonable viscosity on the gear teeth, of course it slung off immediately. You are supposed to use a fairly high melting point grease on the gear teeth.

I use grease on open gears, my bad reference I guess but I meant bearings.

OK. Thanks. I'm running low on SAE 20 (or actually ISO 68) so I ordered a gallon.

Oops, I ordered a gallon of SAE 30. How did you manage to find SAE 20. All that I can get their site to show me are multi-viscosity HD motor oils.

FYI, I used 20W no detergent/ISO 68 which can also be called Indol on my headstock. It flung it all over the place when it was running and pretty much dripped out when it wasn't running.

You changed "headstock" to "bearings". But first, you aren't supposed to run the lathe with the belt cover open (if it has one). second, if there was enough oil to sling all over, there was too much oil. Third, there should be low density felt plugs in the two oil cups for the spindle bearings. And fourth, the Altas lathe's lubrication system is a total loss one. So it's kinda like the joke about how do you tell that a Land Rover is out of oil. Answer - no fresh oil spot on the drive way. Anyway, that's why you are supposed to give it a lube job once a day or before using. Except the spindle cone pulley and back gears are Monthly or before every usage of back gears.

i am trying to find some felt that fits in the oil area for craftsman lathe to replace some that is missing any body know were i can get some

i am trying to find some felt that fits in the oil area for craftsman lathe to replace some that is missing any body know were i can get some
I've used the felt cord from McMaster Carr for wicking oil from the bearing oil cups on the headstock of my Atlas/Craftsman:

https://www.mcmaster.com/felt

I think I used 3/16" diameter firm felt.

Back