Lucky me!

I wish. My wife gives me grief, is not very supportive. Her hobbies are crossword puzzles and sudoku. Although when Lymes/Bells Palsey hit and I couldn't see out of one eye she did mow for the entire summer ( I could not close the eye, so there was risk of doing major damage).

When we moved in, we were working outside, and she saw the neighbors working outside, and went over and helped them leaving me to do our work. I was dumbfounded. In her own words: I'm always right get used to it.

You guys that have women that work with you, and not against you are lucky men.
Mine always takes someone else's side in a disagreement. Even some of her friends have commented that they thought I was right, and why are you doing that to him. I have learned to tune her out more and more rather than argue over it.

I bought my wife a Stihl 017 for her birthday a couple years ago. I had to start out then she went to town. Last year when we started working on a deer fence she bought herself a Stihl battery operated saw. I no longer have to start the saw.

Wow, is that an Emu? :laughing:
No, baby ostrich! We raise turkeys for slaughter, pick up chicks in April/May and let them live until November/December. The tom my wife is cutting up weighed 72 lbs. dead hanging weight. Breast meat alone was a little over 22 lbs., each drum stick just under 10 lbs. Turkeys love cracked corn; they'll pack a lot of weight on pigging out all day.

Below is a photo of last Thanksgiving's spread. The bird on the left is a store-bought 26 pounder, one on the right was 46 lbs. Had to check him with a tape measure to make sure he'd fit in our oven. And yes, it was a 2-person job taking him in and out of the oven. I recall him taking the better part of a day to cook.

Frankly, it doesn't pay to raise them as our local Meijer's sells turkeys around Thanksgiving for $0.33 / pound. The 26 lbs. bird cost around $8. The 46 lbs. bird (dead hanging weight was 65 lbs.) probably ate that a month. Plus I had to pluck him which I'm really slow at. Takes me about 3 hrs. to do a bird. Much quicker to skin them and cut them up, but it's all about the presentation for dinner!

Bruce

Screenshot_20201201-140525_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Bruce, 72 lbs. Turkey, that's a big bird. We raised turkeys one year, the big tom was 52 lbs. We raised Bourbon Red Turkeys, they were smaller but still good meat. We just don't have the room to raise turkeys.

Back