Lug on the back of dial indicators

CarlosA

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have always held mine by the stem below the dial... is the lug designed to be bolted to?

I am making a new dial (drop) indicator holder and want to maximize space this time, when clamping by the stem it always seems to be in the way. I wasn`t really sure if the lug is meant to be rotated and permanently bolted to, or if there is some special mount.

Yes, the lug is for mounting the indicator, and so is the stem. Either can be used. If you use the lug you normally will need an adapter to fit between the stand to the indicator.

As Bob mentioned yes the lug is also meant for mounting. AGD2 indicators have a 3/8" stem as a standard for mounting but I never liked using the stem for mounting.

My dial indicators are Mitutoyo & have dovetails on the case. So I use a flat back & use the dovetails for mounting on my Nogas. Otherwise I would make an adapter to bolt to the lug back.

the adapter I have screws to the hole in the lug with a nut bolt configuration then there is a 1/4" shaft that protrudes and mounts to a standard dial indicator swivel. bill

I have always held mine by the stem below the dial... is the lug designed to be bolted to?

I am making a new dial (drop) indicator holder and want to maximize space this time, when clamping by the stem it always seems to be in the way. I wasn`t really sure if the lug is meant to be rotated and permanently bolted to, or if there is some special mount.

The lug can be rotated 90deg and mounted to a stand for a drop indicator .

57-040-501.jpg

Last edited:
As Bob mentioned yes the lug is also meant for mounting. AGD2 indicators have a 3/8" stem as a standard for mounting but I never liked using the stem for mounting.

My dial indicators are Mitutoyo & have dovetails on the case. So I use a flat back & use the dovetails for mounting on my Nogas. Otherwise I would make an adapter to bolt to the lug back.
I see it mentioned often, what is a Noga?

You are correct, I suspect that I do not connect the name with the tool as an everyday description.
I just consider everything a generic indicator holder for general use.

Back