Lustral Machine Grey Paint?

HighWall

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I inherited a lovely old Clausing 5914 lathe with a ton of tooling. I've been working at getting it spruced up and thought about some touchup paint. It was painted by the previous owner with (KEM?) Lustral Machine Grey paint, which seems to be still available through Sherwin Williams but it's not really a consumer product and they don't list Machine Grey as an available color. There is a Grey 49 listed, but I only need a small amount. I'd like to stick with the paint that was used originally, but may not be able to find it nowadays. I expect the tool was refinished 40 years ago or longer. Anybody know where these paints can be had in sample sizes?

Better paint stores now have the means to test a chip of paint or a small part you bring in and give you a color that will match it.

I just purchased Valspar “Anti-Rust Armor” paint from Lowes to paint a drill press. I took in a piece of steel that I had painted with Sher-Kem paint that I had used on my mill. They were able to match the color exactly. The quart was $14.00. They sold gallons for $30. (the local SW wanted $90.00 – gallons only). Not all Lowes store carry the quart size. I cant say how well the paint will hold up- but it applied and hardened up like the Sher-Kem.

20181014_112523.jpg

Back