Luxury Hand Wheel For Draw Bar.

Tozguy

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Need to upgrade the hand wheel on your draw bar?

A muffler mounting donut
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-muf...Mercedes-BMW-VW-Audi-1074920082-/252312380487

an aluminum V belt pulley and a hex nut

can make a very comfortable hand wheel.

IMG_1613.JPG

The flanges on the pulley need to be turned down so that the rubber ring can be forced on but is still a tight fit. A 3/8ths hex nut is a press fit in a 5/8ths bore pulley. The set screw prevents the nut from moving when tightening the draw bar.

Thanks Tommy,
Let me add that a trip to the local auto parts will likely net you the largest size donut available.
The Mercedes/Audi ones in the above link seem a bit small. The one I used from my spare parts bin is close to 3'' o.d. and I wouldn't want it any smaller.

Who woulda thunk. Gotta love it.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Make sure there's nothing behind your lathe that the rubber can stick to and snag. Including your sleeve or arm if you reach over there to grab something.

i still have a bunch left over from the 60's...

Make sure there's nothing behind your lathe that the rubber can stick to and snag. Including your sleeve or arm if you reach over there to grab something.

That was the first thing that came to mind so it got a quick and dirty solution.

IMG_1607.JPG

Now when people ask Tozguy, just tell them "I added the yellow handle for when I'm sweeping, I can pickup the lathe to get underneath." :eek:

Now why did't think of that! A handle for the lathe...need to take a patent out on that.
If only we could get by the ugly of it.

Does that doughnut give you enough purchase on your drawbar? My wheel is 5 inch dia. knurled aluminum but I always feel like I can't grab it as good as I would prefer. BTW, I like that yellow thing. What is it?

Back