Lyndex N3005-0562 Compression Extension Tap Holder

Jonathans

Professional Fish Killer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just purchased the above tap holder for my new CNC mill thinking I got a great deal. Unbeknownst to me (dumb newbie) The holder requires each tap to have a quick connect tap collet. Great system but it seems that thes collets are speeennndy! I see some on Ebay for around $15 each which is ok.
My question is whether all type #1 tap collets use the same system or are brand specific to their holder?

Is your machine capable of rigid tapping?

If so you probably do not need such a holder, if not it will be invaluable if you tap many holes per hour. Essentially a production tool not aimed toward the hobby market therefore very well made and expensive.

However as more hobbyists begin to buy such tools the prices will become lower as sales volumes increase. Ten years from now you will be able to buy it at HF for $59.99 with free shipping.

Unfortunately my mill has a vfd controlled spindle rather than being servo powered. So, while I can dial in my controller with my vfd using a laser rpm reader, I doubt it will ever be close enough for rigid tapping. I located a set of imported tap collets that will fit. Still more expensive than I had planned for, but will alow quick tap changes.

Back