Lyon Tool Cabinet Restoration - How do I straighten this part?

A c-clamp, spacers similar to what woodchucker recommended, and two pieces of straight, strong metal to use to bridge over the spacers will make you a "press" to use to apply pressure to straighten the flange. Make small adjustments and move your pressure points around to concentrate the pressure on the place that is most out of alignment. It won't take very long to get it straight.

I would make a steel (mild steel is fine for this one time use) punch that is about 1" wide and a little thicker than the top flange on the drawer. The punch is made of three parts, welded together. The lower end fits between the damage and the top flange. The top end is about 1/2" above the drawer flange. The center piece jogs around the drawer flange and connects the other two pieces.

Support the bottom of the drawer so it's not resting on the drawer front and so the welds on the bent rail are supported. Support the bent rail fore and aft of the damage but leave clearance under the damage. The clearance (try .03") will be needed to "over bend" the rail to allow for spring back.

I have a lot of good luck using a large cresceny wrench 18-24”. The jaw depth is deep so I adjust the opening to tight on a good section of material. Then use your straight edge to see where the bending starts. Then put the crescent there and start bending in the direction you need to go. Move over alittle and do the same.
That will get you dam close. Then if their is a high spot or wrinkle then go in with the hammer. Flat swings to avoid denting the surface. Heat might take away the strength of the material I’d avoid it.
Thanks, everyone. The crescent wrench worked great. Then some final love hammering it with a long and heavy-duty punch. The drawer slides as new again!

Back