M head rattling after rebuild

I tried the spring idea but that didnt work so I drilled and tapped the drive pulley for 2 set screws and tightened them up. rattling went away but now I cant move the quill up and down. I just use the table now to get Z movement. I am seriously thinking about selling it. Its a good strong machine but i want powerdownfeed and bigger tools than 1/2 shank

I tried the spring idea but that didnt work so I drilled and tapped the drive pulley for 2 set screws and tightened them up. rattling went away but now I cant move the quill up and down. I just use the table now to get Z movement. I am seriously thinking about selling it. Its a good strong machine but i want powerdownfeed and bigger tools than 1/2 shank
Have you considered trying set screws that have a teflon or nylon insert? I wish I could share my tape with everyone because it makes a wonderful difference in sound and even feels better having just enough slip in the splines to feel tight.

Have you got a deep enough threaded hole that you can put a spring loaded ball in it to push against the spline? Or a spring loaded softer insert, like teflon or delrin. Over time, this would most likely wear a groove in the spline, but it might work???

Ted

Back