M newest aquisition ... A #4 Burke mill

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a #4 Burke milling machine about 3 weeks ago. It will not be getting restored as it only needs some minor work and I have a ton of projects mostly done just needing a little mill work to complete. It is a great little machine.

My new to me Burke No 4.jpg

i have all the minor issues handled and it is ready to run. I am making my own tooling as much as possible for the mill, for my lathe, and tooling for anything pertaining to machining. I just finished making a 1 1/4" and a 1" arbor for the mill.

Mill is ready to run.jpg

I took the spindle out and reworked the pulleys, installed all new keys in key ways and a new motor. I took the table, saddle and knee apart, cleaned everything put it back together and adjusted everything up tight and working smoothly. Now , on to finishing a lot of details on some projects that required a little milling.

I made a table lock, and a draw bar for the vertical head, also a draw bar for the spindle. I made several different indicator holders and stuff like that just to make machining more convenient and fun.

I keep an album on another site with all the projects and the plans for them to share with anyone interested. I would like to put them here also for anyone as soon as I figure out IF I can, where to put them, and how to do it.

Mark

My new to me Burke No 4.jpg Mill is ready to run.jpg

Hi Mark, many thanks for your help on my other thread regarding my Burke. Just read your thread here and wonder if you have posted any drawings anywhere for the arbors, collets, and misc tooling for the Burke? I've got my #4 almost back together, and would like to make a couple of indicator holders and maybe a handful'of table hold down jigs. Just wonder if you have any design work you could share?

Thanks
Glenn

I do have a drawing for an arbor. You can make it whatever diameter you want. I make my own arbors. I bought my B&S 9 collets new on eBay really reasonable. I found using an indicator difficult because there is never any good place to put it. I recently bought one of those Bridgeport quill holder for an indicator for $11 on eBay and it fits on the end of the spindle. It works great on this machine. I got a piece of 3/4" thick aluminum plate 10" X 10" and drilled a grid of 3/8-16 holes in it. I can bolt it to the table slot and it gives me a place to mount bigger pieces or fixtures and uses my hold down set. I bought one of those mill hold down sets for 7/16" slots. The t nuts were just a tad too high so I found the top surface down just a little. I also made my own t nuts that fit better. I built my own smaller dividing head to fit this smaller mill. I built a little tilt table for it. I also built a small manual rotary fixture for it. There are threads on most of these things here, but what you can't find, I will try to find any drawings I have and get them to you. I will be making new brass lead screw nuts for the Burke soon as mine are worn. ( I have to get the brass first).

Thanks Mark, I would be interested in your drawing for the arbor.

For some reason I thought the collets were B&S 7, not 9? Can you confirm they are #9...

Thanks
Glenn

Thanks Mark, I would be interested in your drawing for the arbor.

For some reason I thought the collets were B&S 7, not 9? Can you confirm they are #9...

Thanks
Glenn
Yes, the #4 mill uses B&S 9 collets. I will find the drawing tonight and post it here.

Thanks Mark. My Burke is almost ready to go- just need to assemble the table onto the knee!

Back