Mach3 errors need help

bpimm

Active User
Registered
I have recently switched from Alibre to Fusion3D for my CAD/CAM and for the most part I'm having reasonable success. The last part I'm working on I have been making for a few years and there are a few things I wanted to change so what better time to update them and learn a bit of fusion.

I'm getting an error in Mach3 when I load the Gcode, it runs fine in the simulator in Fusion. The error is "Tool Radius not less than arc radius with comp". I'm not using any tool compensation, I have a very basic grasp of Gcode and I'm having trouble debugging this.
IMG_20181203_151509329.jpg
Mach3 shows it as line 26 but in GWizard editor it is line 28

This code runs fine in GWizard simulator as well, it looks to me that fusion and Mach3 aren't getting along very well, I'm using the mach3 post that comes with fusion.

I had to switch the file type from .tap to .txt to get the forum to accept it should be able to read it either way.

Thanks for any insights.

Attachments

• 6 tools top V2.22.txt
    322.9 KB · Views: 8
I have recently switched from Alibre to Fusion3D for my CAD/CAM and for the most part I'm having reasonable success. The last part I'm working on I have been making for a few years and there are a few things I wanted to change so what better time to update them and learn a bit of fusion.

I'm getting an error in Mach3 when I load the Gcode, it runs fine in the simulator in Fusion. The error is "Tool Radius not less than arc radius with comp". I'm not using any tool compensation, I have a very basic grasp of Gcode and I'm having trouble debugging this.
View attachment 281450
Mach3 shows it as line 26 but in GWizard editor it is line 28

This code runs fine in GWizard simulator as well, it looks to me that fusion and Mach3 aren't getting along very well, I'm using the mach3 post that comes with fusion.

I had to switch the file type from .tap to .txt to get the forum to accept it should be able to read it either way.

Thanks for any insights.

I did quick search on the Autodesk/Fusion CAM forum and found one post that is relative to your issue. Here's the link. https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-computer-aided/cutter-comp-not-working/m-p/8402153

Let us know if this solves your problem.

Yup, I agree with @TomS, set Compensation to In Computer

Your cam settings and Mach3 should be the same. I'm referring to Absolute and Incremental settings.. Good luck.

Having another problem, When I install the tool and set my Z zero I bump the tool height up off of the stock then after the initial tool change (line 16) it executes the first rapid move (line 20) at Z=0 which snaps the tool off on some mounting hardware. I have my feed height set to 0.2" above stock top which clears all the mounting hardware, 8-32 screw heads, I thought all rapids would be above this. Also why is it putting line 21 in Tool length compensation when as far as I know I have all the tool compensation turned off, all my tool changes are manual with manual zeroing of the tool?
Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

There has to be something in Fusion I'm missing. What I'm migrating from is Alibre for the design, export a STL file and use Meshcam to generate the Gcode and Meshcam does it all it's way with almost no user configuration.

Thanks

Having another problem, When I install the tool and set my Z zero I bump the tool height up off of the stock then after the initial tool change (line 16) it executes the first rapid move (line 20) at Z=0 which snaps the tool off on some mounting hardware. I have my feed height set to 0.2" above stock top which clears all the mounting hardware, 8-32 screw heads, I thought all rapids would be above this. Also why is it putting line 21 in Tool length compensation when as far as I know I have all the tool compensation turned off, all my tool changes are manual with manual zeroing of the tool?

There has to be something in Fusion I'm missing. What I'm migrating from is Alibre for the design, export a STL file and use Meshcam to generate the Gcode and Meshcam does it all it's way with almost no user configuration.

Thanks
Fusion will always post a tool length comp. If you are re-zeroing every single tool make sure in the tool table all the lengths are set to 0 and it won't matter if it posts the length comp or not.

Would I be correct to assume the Z origin of your part is at the top of your stock? Your code looks correct if that's true, so something else is happening. So you change the tool, set z zero again, jog the tool up over z.2 and then when you hit start it moves the tool back to z0 before executing line 20? It SHOULD leave the tool at the height you jog it and just move to the XY values in line 20.

Fusion will always post a tool length comp. If you are re-zeroing every single tool make sure in the tool table all the lengths are set to 0 and it won't matter if it posts the length comp or not.

Would I be correct to assume the Z origin of your part is at the top of your stock? Your code looks correct if that's true, so something else is happening. So you change the tool, set z zero again, jog the tool up over z.2 and then when you hit start it moves the tool back to z0 before executing line 20? It SHOULD leave the tool at the height you jog it and just move to the XY values in line 20.

Yes you are correct the Z origin is the top of stock and I just tested the program I posted above and it doesn't drop to 0 before the XY move so I loaded the version of the program that did, I had verified it did it 3 times, and it doesn't do it now so either something weird is happening or I inadvertently overwrote the program with a version that didn't do it. I guess one lesson is to test it on the machine and not just the simulator.

On the tool table, is this where it needs to be set to 0?
Capture3.JPG

+1 on what cs900 said. Or make sure when setting individual tools to top of stock that Tool 0 is selected.

Another thing to be aware of when setting Z zero is to make sure Mach3 is showing the correct tool number. For instance, you finish a tool path with Tool #1, then load Tool #2 and zero it to the top of your stock. But Mach3 is still looking at Tool #1. When you click on Cycle Start the gcode tells Mach to look for Tool #2 at it applies that tool's offset. It could crash your tool or cut air. I usually crash the tool. LOL

Screen Shot 12-05-18 at 05.53 PM.PNG

I set my tool length offsets in the Mach3 tool table and it has worked well for me. I've never used the Fusion Tool Length Offset so I can't say if one is better than the other.

Back