Mach3 errors need help

I just re-zero Z everytime I change tools. It only takes 60-120 seconds. Not good if I was in a production shop where time is money but keeps life simple with not having to deal with tool offset tables.

Sorry, should have clarified, the tool table is in mach3 under the config menu at the top. Make sure that ALL tools have the height and wear height set to 0. If you do this, it will not matter what tool number you assign the tool in fusion or is in the code. Once you rezero the tool you'll be good to go.

Ok I checked the tool table in Mach3 and everything is set to 0, I have never used it so it's still at defaults. I'm not using tool holders, the endmill goes in the R-8 collet so I don't have a repeatable tool change anyway so I can't see any advantage in using tool tables, maybe even a time disadvantage as it seems it would add another setting. Am I missing something?

Now I'm waiting for the new endmills to arrive so I can try again, I think I'll make a tool less start to be safe.

Thanks for all the help.

no, you're not missing anything. There is no value in using the tool table if your tools do not repeat. I just wanted to make sure mach3 wasn't applying a random tool height offset on you which would throw your z-zeroing out the window and possibly cause a crash.

Mach 3 has a Z-Inhibit setting that you can set to make the minimum travel for Z. This is useful for validating new g-Code.

I often set it to something like 1.0 on the first run. this way it will follow the g-Code in every way except it will never get lower than 1 inch above Z-Zero. Then if all looks good, I might run it with Z-Inhibit at 0.1 for a final check. If you really don't trust your code, you can also set X and Y to an empty area of you table and be able to see all of the z-travels while still cutting air.

BTW, I learned this technique AFTER buying a replacement end mill :)

Good Luck.

Mach 3 has a Z-Inhibit setting that you can set to make the minimum travel for Z. This is useful for validating new g-Code.

I often set it to something like 1.0 on the first run. this way it will follow the g-Code in every way except it will never get lower than 1 inch above Z-Zero. Then if all looks good, I might run it with Z-Inhibit at 0.1 for a final check. If you really don't trust your code, you can also set X and Y to an empty area of you table and be able to see all of the z-travels while still cutting air.

BTW, I learned this technique AFTER buying a replacement end mill :)

Good Luck.

I'll look for the Z- Inhibit sounds like it could come in handy, I tend to run a simulator to check out the g-code but it didn't catch this problem. Not sure I want to run the whole thing while watching, it's probably 5 hours. End mills should be here Friday.

simulators don't always mimic your machine perfectly either. Be VERY careful the first time you run it on the mill anyways. The "to go" button right below the DRO in mach3 can be a life (tool) saver.

Not sure I want to run the whole thing while watching, it's probably 5 hours.
one option is to break the 5 hour run into multiple operations and gcode files. This will also make it easier if you have to stop for some reason and start over. It might take a little longer when you are doing the CAM work but at the Mill, it only takes a few seconds to call up the next G-code file and start it running.

Ok I'm getting really frustrated here, ready to drop a grenade on this thing and watch it blow up....

Thought I fixed the program last week, I did a dry run this morning and now the damn thing is trying to drive the tool through the part on start up.

I hit cycle start and normally it just stays where it is and triggers the manual tool change and then starts after I confirm the tool change. now I hit cycle start and does a rapid Z to -0.2934, the bottom of my part is 0.260.

This is a clip of the start of the code.
View attachment 281989
on cycle start it runs down to line 16 (T11 M6) then does a rapid Z to -0.2934 WTF.

Line 8
Capture2.JPG
These commands seem to make sense to me as well as line 9.
Line 10 on the other hand
Capture3.JPG
G28 Return to home position?
I don't use a home position that I know of, is that the same as part 0

G91 makes sense but what is that Z0. for and in the simulator it says
G28/G30 intermediate endpoint: 0,0,0
G28/30 Home endpoint: 0,0,0

Then the G90 makes sense but why do I need it again, it's in line 8 as well?

Just trying to understand whats going on.

Thanks for all the help.

I have not had time to look at the gcode yet but your description did make me think that possibly there is a "Tool Change" location that is set wrong and it is trying to go to a pre-defined (but incorrect) location for the tool change. For instance, I have my system set to go to Z4 for tool change. It is relative so that would be 4 inches above whatever is Z-Zero for the tool I am using. I also assume that as part of the tool change you set the Z-Zero for that specific tool.

Back