Mach3 question

erniehatt

Registered
Registered
Hi, why when I run a Gcode in Mach3 does it not show the correct settings.
If it is programmed to lower 1 mm, it is showing .9952, is there a good reason for this, or is there a set up problem. Thanks

There is a setup for the stepper or servos in mach 3 for steps per pulse. There is a calibration setup. I would go to the Mach 3 website and ask how to fix it. And check your x and y for accuracy too.

erniehatt, are you saying that if Mach3 is showing the z position as 2.0000 and you enter G00 Z1 then after the move Mach3 shows the Z position as 1.9952? If that is the case, then I don't think it is a calibration issue. If it were a calibration issue then Mach3 would happily show you that the move was was you instructed but the actual move as measured outside of Mach3 would be different.

What I am saying is, I programmed the z axis to move to -2, but it is only going to 1.7419, is there a reason for that.

The author of Mach 3 or reps are available.

I would say go right to the source Mach 3/4 website and forum and get your answer quickly.

I think there are two things to look at if you tell Mach3 to move a certain distance and Mach3 reports that it moved the correct distance but does NOT move the correct distance.
1. Calibration. There is a calibration process where you tell Mach3 how many steps per Inch (probably MM or CM if metric).
a) If your error is consistent under zero load moves, this is likely a good way to fix the issue
b) there is a routine in Mach3 that will help you calibrate, or you can do some controlled moves, entering the step value manually
2. The stepper is missing steps. In other words, Mach3 tells the stepper controller to move a certain number of steps but the stepper does not.
a) A few things come to mind that might cause this:
- Acceleration is set to high and stepper can't keep up (set acceleration very low for testing to see if this helps)
- Load to high for stepper, Gibs set to tight, Stepper defective, Too small of a stepper for the job, Other mechanical problems causing high load

Back