Mach3 using Xhc MPG Pendant

bpratl

Active User
Registered
Just purchased and installed a wireless pendant to use with mach3turn on a grizzly G0602 lathe to be used for an initial part setup. It works fine except for a slight hesitation when using the MPG control. I did try quite a few different combinations in the Ports & Pins config file for the Pulse & Velocity settings with out success.
Using mach3's MPG calibration procedures also did not help. Is this the characteristic of the Pendants or is there a better method in setting them up. I do get instant response from the keyboard using the arrow keys but I like the idea of using the hand held control. Bob

I am using an XHC pendent on Mach3 for my Mill. Not every feature seems to work well but the main feature I use it for is Jogging in pre-determined steps and for that it works without delay. I tried using it in the mode where the faster you turn the MPG wheel the faster it jogs but that never seemed to work very well.

The driver for the XHC pendant is being actively maintained. The latest one is here: http://www.cdxhctech.com/html/downloads/view_119.html

A thread on CNCZone with posts by the developer says that a third mode will be added to the jog wheel. The post was made earlier this month. For details have a look there. I would post the link, but CNCzone links may be forbidden here - Moderators feel free to comment.

Just a note for others who get this pendant: The instructions tell you to install the macros into the mach3/mach3mill folder, but of course they actually need to be in the folder for your active profile. If they are not there, the probe Z function for one will not work (fails silently).

A thread on CNCZone with posts by the developer says that a third mode will be added to the jog wheel. The post was made earlier this month. For details have a look there. I would post the link, but CNCzone links may be forbidden here - Moderators feel free to comment.

There is no restriction on linking to other forums.

Thank you guys, I will give the new Xhc driver a try. Bob

Implementing some of the recommended changes did help in hesitation but the Xhc display is still not reading the positions.
The display shows only random numbers for X,Y,Z. The mach3 screen as well as the machine tracks well with the Pendant.
I thought that I needed a later Shuttlepro.dll file, no change. Is there something in my mach3 configuration that is not allowing the display to function? Thanks Bob

My Xhc displays the positions but I don't remember doing anything special to set it up. You might try completely uninstalling and re-installing the XHC. Not sure how to accomplish this though.

I almost never look at the display on the pendent. Much easier for me to look at the DRO on the Mach3 screen when I am trying to hit a number. While for me the Xhc work and is OK, I find that I only use a small subset of features and I continue to look for a pendent that focuses on
1. separate rotary switch to select Jog increment (.1, .01, .001, .0001, ) with at least 4 positions
2. Selector rotary switch to select axis
3. Handwheel
4. E-Stop

anything else for me is just extra weight and space.

I'm using the latest driver and the display reads fine, though there is a noticeable lag before the mach3 display and the pendant display agree.

As for reinstalling, all that is necessary is to delete the dll file and replace it with a new one, then restart the system.

It would be nice to know what jog increment you are currently in, but I can live with it the way it is.

If you want to communicate with the developer, there is an email address in the CMCZone thread. It's new year over there, so a response may take a day or two.

I think I'll ask if the jog increment can be displayed - who knows they may do it.

It turns out that the pendant does display an indication of the jog increment in the top of its display. Not as good as a labeled knob I suppose, but it works for me.

Back