Machine for beginner cnc

I have a manual lathe with a toolpost spindle already. I wanted to go the next level and engrave designs on the tubular bodies that are a little more than simple patterns.

Home made powerful tool post spindle - YouTube

ACtC-3crpNjA9Y1aKOA3YXx7gKv3aIMhYLVgtLh_fzxZEy14Avu6VK9iFgD-LIhf27D8q6C13M3EbQD6P_IyZSvox3dg7V2PDLLnAlowFFrnwDr4TnKbe8eBDPPoKqnGAwnCn9t0c9I3Q9bd_IeNYKUwBNlTFA=w687-h915-no

@Weldingrod1 please excuse my ignorance but what's DDSCV ?

Here you go! Its kind of the CNC machine tool equivalent of a 3D printer controller.
Firmware upgrading by the awesome Benedict!

Another route:

I like the last machine that was linked looked good and sturdy. I wish i seen that before I went in on a Shariff DMC2. For the money its not bad your choice was the others of your choices i would avoid due to being not being sturdy. A router is not going to be as sturdy as a milling machine the third machine is built like a Gantry mill would be made. That a milling machine the third choice. I know I am missing somethings but i can always come back

For your work, I'd look at something along the lines of a G0704, with 4th axis. I personally use Mach 4 with an ethernet smoothstepper, but if you stick with any front runner (LinuxCNC, Centroid, etc.) you should be good.

I agree that a router isn't really suited for anything more than light engraving on metal. You go router if you need to cut sheet materials. Mill for anything precision or real cutting of metals.

Back