Machine Grade Rods & Blocks

Plastiblocks

Registered
Registered
MSP_3599-smallone.png

Our plastic raw material products will enable small, medium and large companies, including manual & CNC shops, makers, designers, model builders, furniture manufacturers, cabinet makers, hobbyists, prototyping bureaus and more. Our machine grade blocks and rods are available in small quantities, in different colors and at very affordable prices that can boost creativity and will help your business thrive.

Currently we offer HDPE and ABS blocks and rods. We will be regularly expending our product offerings in the coming months to include CAB, Acrylic and PEEK and other products forms including sheets. If you fabricate, CNC machine, or make something cool with our materials, send us a picture and we will post it with a reference to your company if you wish.

We believe in distributed infrastructure solutions and so we aim to achieve this through our line of consumer-friendly products and user-friendly equipment. Plasti-Block™ blocks, rods and sheets are just a first “stepping block” for cost-effective distributed manufacturing to enable future innovations. By buying from us, you’ll be supporting this venture.

For more information please visit our website
MSP_4262.jpg-small.jpgMSP_4247_small.jpg

Last edited:
I have a few knob designs I build on a cnc lathe. I'm wondering how some of this plastic would hold up.
What plastic will hold threads the best?
Will a 5c collet hold plastic rod for machining? Wondering if the O.D. would be damaged. Looks like everything starts at 1" rod. So far my knobs are 3/4 and 7/8 so if I would have to start with 1" then O.D. damage by the collet wouldn't be a worry.
All have knurling. Does plastic knurl well? Would it need to be cut knurled?
Threading is done with roll form taps. Would that work in plastic? Or would a standard cut tap be better?

What plastic will hold threads the best?
BOTH ABS AND HDPE ARE USED IN PLUMBING WITH MOLDED THREADS. ABS WILL WORK WELL WITH CUT THREADS AND MAYBE HDPE WITH A SHARP TOOL.

Will a 5c collet hold plastic rod for machining? YES. Wondering if the O.D. would be damaged.
IT SHOULDN'T UNLESS OVER TIGHTENED.

Looks like everything starts at 1” rod. So far my knobs are 3/4 and 7/8 so if I would have to start with 1" then O.D. damage by the collet wouldn't be a worry.
MAKE SURE OUR PLUS TOLERANCE WILL ALLOW IT TO FIT IN A COLLET, OTHERWISE PRE TURNING WILL BE REQUIRED.

All have knurling. Does plastic knurl well? Would it need to be cut knurled? THE PRESSURE REQUIRED TO FORM THE KNURL WOULD SNAP THE ROD. A CUT KNURL SHOULD WORK.

Threading is done with roll form taps. Would that work in plastic? Or would a standard cut tap be better?
CUTTING IS BETTER. METALS WILL ALLOW SOME SHAPE CHANGE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE WITH OUT BEING DAMAGED. ABS AND HDPE NEED TO BE HEATED TO PREVENT FORMING DAMAGE.

I am contemplating repair work on a dishwasher, need 6 wheels, 1 inch diameter, round bottom groove 7/16 wide x 1/4 inch deep. Overall width 5/8 inch. Temperature in dishwasher about 250`F.
Would appreciate a quote on 12 inch long by 1 inch diameter suitable for this project. My location is 17954 CR 15, Yellow Jacket, CO 81335 . If this could be sent via US Post Office my Box number is 343.
Thanks
Ray Patterson

Any thoughts on how big a block you could make? I'm looking for a source for really big polypropylene homopolymer blocks, up to 6' diameter. I know, nutty big ;-)

Back