Machine painters glazing putty?

Toolmaker51

Registered
Registered
I have machinery to refinish as rebuilds are completed. Long ago I found auto spot putty had poor adhesion on iron, being laden with particles. Googling so far, hasn't turned up satisfactory results; due likely inaccurate/ wrong terms.
The projects are cast, mostly iron of course, steel weldments and machined but areas of non-surface contact.
Virtually all the paint will be brushed air dry industrial enamels in traditional machine tool colors.
I'll be looking at mwvernon89's questions on bondo and whatever else turns up here.

I use all-metal by USC its 30.00 for a can but it's never failed me. Of course get things prepped right and follow direction. I found that letting these type of materials dry completely makes a difference. Bondo works too just mix correct amount of hardener

That's the stuff. There are a few brands but essentially the same and better than bondo or epoxy

Close is good if I remember it uses clear hardener and it mixes like steel putty and has some type of metal powder in it

Does it have to be sandable? Body glaze is good stuff with a fine grain but it trades off useable thickness for anti-cracking/anti-shrinking properties. Glazing putty is like plumber's putty for window panes, I don't think that's what you wanted (from the thread title). For a skim coat before lots of hand sanding and finally paint, gold bondo should hold up for the life of the paint job. I'm not sure how one would sand down a metal-based filler in this application unless you're using it for some sort of repair.

Yeah it's for holes and pockets . You can cheese grate it like bondo and sand it. Maybe overkill for what he asking and bondo has its place. All about prep either way.

Back