Machine restorers

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
The guys on this site that restore machines, where do you guys go to get the name plates and tables reprinted on metal plates? A few of you seen several times pictures of the gear tables on my lathe and they're really quite faded. I really love to have them reprinted but I don't have any idea where to go

You can restore yourself if there is enough meat left on the lettering. Keith Rucker did a video on restoring his for the LeBlond or Monarch he was working on. Otherwise, you have to get together with others that have that same machine, and hope someone has figured it out. Seems like somebody did some SB or Logan replica plates a while back.

I'll win the lottery before I find original or remade parts for this lathe.

Keith was restoring a stamped plate, mine is printed. I cannot use his same method. But thanks for the reference.

What u got, there could be repops out there

There won't be spare plates out there. I literally cannot even find another one of these lathes never mind parts.
There is a company H.R Roberts machinery that has the blueprints to make parts but they are astronomically expensive. But I have emailed them already. I've also contacted a local trophy shop that had printed on brass plates for me when I made my brother in-laws urns a few years ago.
We'll see what I come up with. I was just putting feelers out there what some of the guys here have done.

I would call a local silk screening place. They would have access to someone to draw the art from your current plate (To make the screens) in each color you want and could silk screen it on a metal plate for you. In High School 30 years ago we had a setup for that, very easy to do.

If just one color I saw a process somewhere where you print on a special paper on a laser printer then iron on the lettering from there to the metal plate so you could do it yourself if you could draw up the images and had access to a laser printer. Someone was doing that for making pc boards on copper clad boards. Then cover with clear lacquer to protect it.

The good thing about the rare lathe is you can make the plate like you want it so long as it looks good no one would notice because no other machine to compare to. No pressure on getting exact match, just a good clean plate.

I use a local graphics or sign company. They have a lot of tools to make new. One company is an engraver and I will have some stamped plates engraved. I have found that they are very reasonable for their rates. I have a challenge coming up, a Logan stamped name plate. It will be interesting as to what I find out on this one and the compromises I may have to make.

Back