Machine shop

mikedad

Registered
Registered
I have an opportunity to buy a machine shop from a retired mans family (he has had a stroke) and I'm trying to figure out a fair value for all the machines and the thousand's of misc. attachment and tools I'm in Ohio. Can any one help?
Equipment

Deckel KF 12
SuperMax Mill
Lathe ( Reynolds ?)
Drills Press (more than one)
Large band saw
Plus other stuff

Thanks
Mikedad

His family should hire an appraiser; the value of tooling and attachments is a bit more difficult than the machine tools, full value should not be expected for a bulk deal. I sold my business about seven years ago, I was able to receive the services of a machinery dealer that I had known for many years, paid for his time by the buyer.

Thank You sir If I could ask What was a rough cost for the Dealers time?

Thank You sir If I could ask What was a rough cost for the Dealers time?
I wish that I could tell you that, but it was way too long ago. Another way would be to look for comparables on e bay on "finished" items.
Perhaps doing a thorough inventory of items present would be a good start.

I sold my shop 10 yrs. ago . I tried selling it myself for a while (complete wast of time) and one more month of warehouse rental . I had no customers to go with it so it was just what the machinery and tooling was worth . It would have been a good deal for someone if they had bought it and kept it all in place rent was cheap 1K a mo. in the end I just called the used machine tool guy he made me a fair offer and I took it . If you are going to be moving the shop and there are no customers , then I would find the value of the machinery piece by piece and the tooling and that should help you determine the price . There is not that much machinery , so it should be doable by you. On a side note a friend works part time for a Co. that has a part, it's aircraft tooling that is patented ( it's a simple clip for wire harnesses and then is disposed of after use) . The Co. is for sale all the machines are wore out and not worth much , they have had offers over 5M they are holding out for more .

This comes up a lot. IMHO, There is no quantifiable price for used machinery. The value is what someone is willing to pay for it where and when it is being sold. Looking up prices on places like eBay are not accurate, as most of the machinery there is listed way higher than it actually sells for (I've seen some machines sit there for years) Although, you can search "sold listings" and get some idea. Machinery dealers will always offer low as they have to flip it and make a profit. Other factors are; location, machines are more valuable in some areas "Machine deserts" where there are few good ones available. Accessibility, where the machine is, how easy is it going to be to move out of there? And of course, the overall condition and accessories included.
If you are interested in buying it make an offer of what you think is a fair price and take it from there.

I wish that I could tell you that, but it was way too long ago. Another way would be to look for comparables on e bay on "finished" items.
Perhaps doing a thorough inventory of items present would be a good start.
Thank again That was where I started Inventory
This comes up a lot. IMHO, There is no quantifiable price for used machinery. The value is what someone is willing to pay for it where and when it is being sold. Looking up prices on places like eBay are not accurate, as most of the machinery there is listed way higher than it actually sells for (I've seen some machines sit there for years) Although, you can search "sold listings" and get some idea. Machinery dealers will always offer low as they have to flip it and make a profit. Other factors are; location, machines are more valuable in some areas "Machine deserts" where there are few good ones available. Accessibility, where the machine is, how easy is it going to be to move out of there? And of course, the overall condition and accessories included.
If you are interested in buying it make an offer of what you think is a fair price and take it from there.
Thank you I will do so Thanks again

@mikedad,

two thoughts beyond what has already been posted above.

1) if you post some photos and more info, you'll likely get better guidance.
as difficult as it is to advise without seeing it in person, it is slightly less difficult to advise based on pictures.

2) it is said here often that the price of all the accessories for a machine is typically more than the machine itself.
i have spent more in chucks than i did for my lathe!

Good luck!

-brino

Back