machine skate prototype

Clogs,
I have a frame with heavy casters on my mill that works real good. I set up a hydraulic system run from my port-o-power to level it. I needed that in my old shop. However, in my new shop space is not at a premium (yet) so once the lathe is in place is shouldn't need to be move. And too, it is not that heavy, probably just a little over 1,500 lbs including the junk on the shelves.

Tried the skates out today;

My DRO came in last night so I needed to move the lathe out from the wall.
My toe lift attachment for the port-a-power wouldn't fit under the bottom cross piece so instead of using an extension and going up to the next one I tried the wedge attachment. I set the tailstock end on the skates first but when I went to lift the headstock end the wedge just pushed the lathe around. So I set the headstock end on skates first and then the tailstock (a lot lighter) which worked great.

I first had to try to pull the lathe away from the wall. That took more jerking than pulling. I should have used a strap and pulled over my shoulder. If I had to move a machine very far by pulling like that I wouldn't want to move a much heaver machine, at least by myself.
However, when I was able to get behind the lathe and push it was easy to move. (Not shown is a 3/8" rod with a handle I made to stick in the leading edge holes to steer them.)

All in all they made an easy one man job of moving the lathe a few feet.

If anyone would like the drawings just let me know. Also, if anyone wants to borrow them I think I can fit them in a small USPS box (by taking them apart). I sure won't need them very often.

0533.jpg 0535.jpg 0536.jpg

Last edited:
Back