Machine skate

Ryanjax

Registered
Registered
Based on Tom Liptons videos I whipped these up to make moving the lathe easier.

eee8aa56310f4d8ee778a8fbad6f7853.jpg
ccf6178555e41b6ba75b7fa468b7fe92.jpg
c590e1be3afa0d3d1170053c207548fa.jpg
c614cca14cdb9112396db3b8385533fa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Better to locate the axle high on the side of the angle iron to lower the whole assembly; the higher you have to raise machinery the more chance to tip it over.

Better to locate the axle high on the side of the angle iron to lower the whole assembly; the higher you have to raise machinery the more chance to tip it over.
Yes but a solid, reliable connection of the axle to the an angle would be more difficult to achieve. I guess it depends on how much faith one has in their welds. That being said, the only constructive criticism I have with the above, is the metal doesn't appear to have been ground bright before the welds were made. Otherwise, it looks pretty solid and should work fine.

I could have drilled a hole and welded it in, but as stated before I think my connection is stronger on the bottom. Additionally, the added clearance is nice getting it on and off a trailer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I made a similar device to move such as milling machines, used 1/2" X 6 steel flat bar in a U shape, and used cast iron wheels with 1" bore, welded both sides, the bottom is only 1/2" off the floor, and has transported approx. 3,500 lbs successfully. I first saw a pro machinery mover use one; I was an immediate convert. Much better than pipes!

Another thing that I have seen used for heavy machinery moving is a device that looks like a "Johnny Bar", but motorized with a long extension cord and fwd/ rev switch on the handle, it had big alligator clips on the cord, and could be connected to any shop's electric panel; whether they had a transformer for 480V, I did not see.

Back