Thanks everyone for the ideas and the concern

here are some numbers to look at

the aluminum channel has tensile strength of 42,000 lbs
it has a shear strength of 27,000 lbs

the grade 5 bolts have tensile strength of 9,300 lbs
and they proof at 6,600 lbs

unless i missing something critical, one skate could support the entire mass of the lathe

All the numbers are for "straight" use of the channel. You bearings are on the outside, which means the load is not "straight". Aluminum is very ductile (I guess that is the term I want) and I can see the legs bending outward under load,especially if you hit a speck of dirt to alter the force direction. I may not be vaery clear on this. I would put some kind of support to keep the sides "straight" no matter how you twist or turn. That's just me. Let us all know how it turned out.

@Chewy put in to words what my 'gut' was trying to tell me.
I went looking this morning for a piece of 1.5x4" or so aluminum channel I had mangled years ago - and of course can't find it.
All the numbers are for "straight" use of the channel. You bearings are on the outside, which means the load is not "straight". Aluminum is very ductile (I guess that is the term I want) and I can see the legs bending outward under load,especially if you hit a speck of dirt to alter the force direction. I may not be vaery clear on this. I would put some kind of support to keep the sides "straight" no matter how you twist or turn. That's just me. Let us all know how it turned out.

What lathe are you moving?
Trying to get a CAD program to fire up so I can draw up what I'm thinking of and of course the geek's 'puter is acting up and crashing.
Where's my pencil and paper? :grin:
Thanks everyone for the ideas and the concern

here are some numbers to look at

the aluminum channel has tensile strength of 42,000 lbs
it has a shear strength of 27,000 lbs

the grade 5 bolts have tensile strength of 9,300 lbs
and they proof at 6,600 lbs

unless i missing something critical, one skate could support the entire mass of the lathe

What lathe are you moving?
Trying to get a CAD program to fire up so I can draw up what I'm thinking of and of course the geek's 'puter is acting up and crashing.
Where's my pencil and paper? :grin:
a Samson Victor 2040

What bothers me is the pictures of the channel. The sides look pretty straight with a decent radius at the top. I envision the sides starting to bend above the bearings. The only saving grace is if it bends enough that the bearings stop it. But then they won't roll. If this was a piece of steel channel with heavy tapered sides, this would be a non-issue. A single piece would probably support two lathes. I would have on hand some different thickness of wood to "catch" the lathe if the channels do start to bend. Maybe some prybars or crowbars to shove under there.
I would rather be an alarmist and look stupid when it works, then to have it fail and do damage to the lathe that might be preventable.

Last edited:
here is the set as they are now, cleats added
i'll be adding tackle holes next

IMG_3983.jpg

IMG_3982.jpg

Back