"Machine Tool Reconditioning" book and Scraping Class sign-up sheet

John
Without getting too deep into the ebay thing, Richard is not that far off on the asking price for his copy. He and I talked about it briefly wheen one copy (Hard cover) was listed for 500 buy it now. It sold for that very price. There was one on Amazon listed for 2000 (No typo). There is a copy on ebay now, it went from 56 to 177 dollars in less than a day. It is in the middle of a bidding war right now,

"Billy G"

Connelly is solid and worth the price.
However, it can get dreary if I'm not clear on what he is teaching me and why. The text by itself will not teach you scraping. I need a mentor.
The text refreshes my memory on something that I've already been taught, and provides clarity on the many questions I have.

It is a great compliment to “Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy” and “Holes, Contours and Surfaces” both by Moore ,

I prefer the tree version with binding of all.

Daryl
MN

I like the hard bound paper books, too, a lot more. But not enough to dig that deeply into my wallet...

wow, now thinking of selling my copy.

wow, now thinking of selling my copy.
Jon, the expensive ones are the first printing edition and similar, in nice condition. Still, kind of silly to me. I want the information, and I have it, in hard cover, and on my computer...

I created a website many years ago that uploaded all of the wartime supervisory skills training programs (think Rosie the Riveter War Production) stuff out of the National Archives. PDF'd thousands of pages out of the National Archives and let people download them...maybe 10,000 or more downloads. I saved one hard copy from the Norwich University Library incineration list and still have it on my bookshelf. I had no reason to get another. Years later, when I saw one on Abebooks for $100 and scooped up my second copy and gave the first one to a friend who valued it the same way that I did.

Information is easily disseminated today, which is what the printing press ushered in many centuries ago...there is no good, rational reason in my mind to have a hard copy with today's technology (if you have technology access), if it weren't for that feeling in your synapses when you have the book in your hands. Kind of like holding a little piece of history. At least, that is my rationale for the nutty asking prices and when I have to ask for permission from the boss.

Kind of like holding a little piece of history. At least, that is my rationale for the nutty asking prices and when I have to ask for permission from the boss.

For those of us who like the paper, there is a pretty good site for comparing online pricing that a buddy at work showed me: http://www.addall.com

As an example, here is Connolly: http://www.addall.com/New/compare.c...hetime=20180324073908&author=&title=&state=AK

It does have some limitations: pretty sure it doesn't grab from Ebay, but it's saved me more than once so thought I'd share

I should raise my price on Ebay for the new ones I'm selling there.

I just did....thanks. .lol Be sure to check out my other stuff too.....
I will also listing some Biax Scrapers, used scraped straight-edges on there next week...picking up a retired rebuilders tools tomorrow. :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173234869097

Last edited:
That's a good price Richard. You still have room to go higher. LOL

The other one on ebay is sold, I now own it. LOL

"Billy G"

Connelly is solid and worth the price.
However, it can get dreary if I'm not clear on what he is teaching me and why. The text by itself will not teach you scraping. I need a mentor.
The text refreshes my memory on something that I've already been taught, and provides clarity on the many questions I have.

It is a great compliment to “Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy” and “Holes, Contours and Surfaces” both by Moore ,

I prefer the tree version with binding of all.

Daryl
MN

Daryl....Strange of you to say "I need a Mentor" when you took my class and I gave you copies of books. I am sure I told you about the Connelly and Moore book in the first place? Had you ever held a scraper in your hands before I showed you how???? Tutored you? Introduced you to Dennis my old friend??

Back