Machine tools near laundry machines

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My wife has requested we move the washer and dryer to the basement. I expressed concern about the machines adding humidity, and hence rusting the equipment. We do have a dehumidifier running and set for 50% humidity. At any rate, she requested I “find out” if this is something to be concerned about, or if I’m just paranoid. The basement doesn’t have any interior walls, but the laundry machines would be 20 feet or so from my corner of the basement. What say you?

Make Momma happy, as long as the dryer vents' outside I don't think it'll cause any problems, all basements are somewhat damp anyways.

Sounds like the boss will win your getting a washing machine and dryer in your workshop weather you like it or not ☺☺

Never place a large piece of cast iron next to residential laundry equipment, this is a sure way to render it unusable, the chemicals that keep your cotton clothing clean and soft will extract positive ions from the metals causing the loss of untold lives and possible machine damage.

I was taught years ago at trade school that Downy fabric softener was the worst culprit, do not get it anywhere near a large steel machine tool.

Last edited:
My lower level is partitioned, my milling machine is two layers of pegboard and one thickness of 2X4s away from our washer and drier. The chamber (room) my shop is in also houses the gas furnace. I've seen no (zero) rust on any piece of metal in my workshop, culprit ions notwithstanding.

My lower level is partitioned, my milling machine is two layers of pegboard and one thickness of 2X4s away from our washer and drier. The chamber (room) my shop is in also houses the gas furnace. I've seen no (zero) rust on any piece of metal in my workshop, culprit ions notwithstanding.

It is not uncommon for the chemicals in pegboard to cause commercial aircraft to fail in flight, use it wisely if indeed at all.
However protecting a machine from residential laundry equipment is also important, never use Dove dish washing liquid near a lathe.

I bought the house 39 years ago, the pegboard was there then and has out-gassed all it's going to, besides, my altitude varies by less than an inch, no flying. There's no dish washing done in the lower level of my house, by hand or otherwise. [chuckle]

My wood shop is in the basement about 20 feet from our laundry that runs 3 times a week. Been that way for 5 years. My use of the wood working equipment and it’s cast iron is not as often as I’d like, but no rust to speak of... however, that said, I keep the table tops lubricated with a silicone free tool lube meant for keeping surfaces low friction when woodworking. I assume it has some kind of protectant... I can’t remember what it’s called right now.

Back