Machine tools near laundry machines

Not a wax. I got off the toilet and went downstairs and looked at it. Lol

https://www.busybeetools.com/products/blade-cote-10-75-oz-aerosole.html

I spray my furniture with lacquer, and you need to be very careful what you use on and near the wood or equipment as lacquer is incredibly easy to contaminate and ruin.
I cannot have WD40 even in the same room as where I spray as one airborne molecule of WD will cause the lacquer flow coat to fisheye. What's fisheye you ask? Only the most miserable thing to happen to a lacquer sprayer...

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was making furniture, I would do most anything to not have to spray them with lacquer. In fact, I simply do not spray lacquer at all, after painting a couple cars. For many reasons.

To each their own. Lacquer is the product of choice for professionals. It's fast, it's cheap, and it's the finish people expect to see when they buy something. It's very low maintanence, easy to clean, does not yellow, tarnish, or crack over time. It can take a relatively large range in humidity and temperature changes. The list goes on.

I wasn't intending to hijack this thread.
I wouldn't worry much about the machinery near the laundry. my basement is unfinished and i've never had an issue.

If you are able to hold the RH to 50% or less, you should be OK.

Might be wax.
Far too simple, needs to be more complicated then wax.

The fiction of E.L James has prevented rust on my table saw for decades, I highly recommend it as a preservative on difficult to protect surfaces.
One softback copy will protect several machines.

If you can wash shop towels,, and, and, if she’s doing laundry In a bikini :big grin: , dryer vented outside of corse

My shop has a sump pump in the corner and our laundry machines are 10 feet from the lathe. We even hang laundry on a line in the same area in the winter to help keep humidity up. We try to keep the whole house between 45 and 55 % rel. hum. to keep the piano in tune. That requires a dehumidifier in the summer but not because of any laundry issue.
So don't worry about it, small price to pay for harmony.

My wife has requested we move the washer and dryer to the basement. I expressed concern about the machines adding humidity, and hence rusting the equipment. ........ At any rate, she requested I “find out” if this is something to be concerned about, or if I’m just paranoid.

Definitely a concern. Not from humidity attacking your machines but from swarf attacking her machines. Chips will definitely find their way into the washing machine and do a number on the seals and water pump. Bad, bad idea to move the laundry near your machines. For HER sake, you need to leave the laundry where it is now. If you can keep a straight face while you tell her this, it might work. ;)

Tom

Definitely a concern. Not from humidity attacking your machines but from swarf attacking her machines. Chips will definitely find their way into the washing machine and do a number on the seals and water pump. Bad, bad idea to move the laundry near your machines. For HER sake, you need to leave the laundry where it is now. If you can keep a straight face while you tell her this, it might work. ;)

Tom
Just load up the lathe chuck and mill spindal with plenty of oil then let em rip im sure after that the laundry will soon move back inside

Back