Machining a 1” Plate Welding Coupon

Where I apprenticed, the 1" weld test were beveled by machine torch and hand ground, they were laid on a backing strip about 3/8" thick and 2" wide and welded up by stick rod, we machinists would cut the specimens into strips for the tests by bandsaw and them machine the backing strips off and grind off the weld metal flush and also belt grind the faces smooth. No pre machining was done to test plates.

I made sure that the landing matches the companion coupon (which I made yesterday). The landing is 3/32” to match my favorite stick electrode (Lincoln 5P+ (6010)).

I see that there is some chatter on the landing. The carbide 3-flute, 3/4” endmill was spinning at 900 RPM, 13 ipm feed, no CF, & then a finishing spring pass just like I did on all the side milling passes above.

C886C8F7-DC9B-4713-A758-C12C959A6D5A.jpeg
E06074BF-0BAC-4AB0-9E95-69A71F87C204.jpeg

Last edited:
Where I apprenticed, the 1" weld test were beveled by machine torch and hand ground, they were laid on a backing strip about 3/8" thick and 2" wide and welded up by stick rod, we machinists would cut the specimens into strips for the tests by bandsaw and them machine the backing strips off and grind off the weld metal flush and also belt grind the faces smooth. No pre machining was done to test plates.

That sounds like it would go a lot faster.

I sure don’t have the skill to use an O/A torch to cut a bevel!

My backing strap is only a 1/4” thick and 1” wide.

I will have a chance to make the backing strap & weld these tomorrow. I will probably use a gap between 1/16” & 3/32”. It will be my favorite: 6010 root, 7018 fill & cap.

5C66068C-8C4B-4CCE-B074-CE4A1C7931D2.jpeg
78B2A735-7F0B-4867-A1D3-0D6B723632EF.jpeg4A6E4323-059F-4BBB-A6EB-A2EE387802C7.jpeg

I misspoke have n some of the measurements on that angle plate. The round bar is 2.250.
As to vibrations I have not had any. I also do not take heavy passes or take a lot of material off as you are. I personally would find a way to take the bulk of the material off with something else and finish the piece off with your cutters. I’d either o/a, bandsaw, or my go to cut off wheel. You definately get a A+ on effort.

Erik, you are going to have one hell of a welding table built by the time you stitch together all those coupons! It'll be like the quilt of love, where each coupon tells a story.

After about 30 passes, I finally got a stringer bead good enough to take a picture of. The bead that I like is in the middle of the frame.

E6DC24AF-5761-442F-BBDB-FC9F05767B24.jpeg

That bead is 1/8” Lincoln Excalibur MR (which is 7018 & runs beautifully) at 135A. The workpiece is hot.

My root weld went so badly that I didn’t even fuse with the backing strap! Later, I easily pulled off the backing strap & welded the back side (which was never the plan!) with 3/32” Lincoln 5P+ at 65A. Next time I will use a 3/32” gap & make contact with the backing strap. I had my arc *in the root*, but I guess I was too focused on connecting the 2 sides.

Here is my setup. I am standing (as opposed to sitting). As you can imagine, there are numerous fill passes. Obviously, I need to remove slag and aggressively use a stainless steel brush after every bead.

70B5FAC0-09D0-442F-B1A2-A90B54240CF8.jpeg

83FCD5FE-0BAD-47C3-83DF-E9E962102DE9.jpeg

I like using thick coupons because there is so much arc time.

Man, I wish the Dynasty did SMAW-P!

Do you always snuff your smokes out halfway through? You know you can burn them all the way down to the filters. Laying stringers it doesn't matter if you pause for a re-light. Just looks like money on the floor, and it's not a government job, so use the good stuff up!

Man, I wish the Dynasty did SMAW-P!

Do you always snuff your smokes out halfway through? You know you can burn them all the way down to the filters. Laying stringers it doesn't matter if you pause for a re-light. Just looks like money on the floor, and it's not a government job, so use the good stuff up!

The first picture is what I want to do, and the second picture is what I did. On the 7018 restarts, I had to strike it an average just above 3 times to get an arc, even after removing some flux in order to expose the steel.

7227318E-609B-44E5-9C16-7C02A41F7A10.jpeg
0BCF4EDF-5D91-4273-8319-2D2159EE3A77.jpeg

I save the ones that still have some life left, & I have this place in my shop for them. I use them for tack welds & short segments.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I finished this task. It took me about 2 1/2 hours of work.

This is the picture that I am posting now because I wanted to put it in the hydraulic press while it was still hot; I will let it cool in there overnight. The plate warped, & I will be recycling this material for another round of fun.

D587AAFF-2143-45CC-B4B5-7627D027478E.jpeg

I will run stringers along that used plate in order to “bring up the low spots” (of which there are many!).

I enjoy running stringer beads on flat plate, watching the puddle & learning to control the puddle/weld in a straight line, etc. I have done a lot of this, mostly with 6010.

Last edited:
Back