Machining A Replacement Cross Slide For A Logan 11" (as Promised)

His website appears to have disappeared, but I know someone who received some castings from him recently. He may have retired but I’m not sure.

PM me if you’d like the last phone number I have for Andy, but his snail mail address is:

Metal Lathe Accessories
Andy Lofquist
PO Box 88
Pine Grove Mills, PA 16868

I earmarked this post just so I could refer to it when I build a cross slide. So... here I am ready to start and I can’t find the MLA web site to order the casting. Anyone know what happened to them?
Let us know if you find him. I'd like the same for my 11" Logan. I Put it off to long , hope not . My luck tho.

I emailed Andy at mlatoolbox@verizon.net and received the below reply from him:

Yes, they are available. Probably it was the S-4382 cross slide you saw. Price of casting and drawing is $56.00. Shipping $14.35 to U.S.A. addresses. Payment by check or PayPal. Andy Lofquist, Metal Lathe Accessories (814) 234-3543

I don’t know what else he might have and as I recall, there were two cross slide castings but I don’t know which one for the Logan. Also, it seems as there was gib stock available also. I plan to call him tomorrow and I’ll know more.

Regards,

J.Hawk

Pretty nice Rex, not a beginner's project for sure; more like "advanced intermediate", many opportunities to mess up.
I don't have the patience to stop and take pictures when I build stuff. Gotta work on that.
Mark

Pretty nice Rex, not a beginner's project for sure; more like "advanced intermediate", many opportunities to mess up.

Thanks! Trust me, I’m still very much a beginner and an amateur to boot.

I just trust my inner Nietsche: that which doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. And I’ve had my share of close calls. My setup for splitting some durabar diagonally on a little 4x6 bandsaw to make some straightedges comes to mind — don’t do it the way I did!

Glad to hear Andy is still selling his castings. The part number J. Hawk shows above (S-4382) is indeed the part I ordered from Andy.

You can still find Logan production cross slides on eBay. I fact I have two in my stash . I think one is for a 12 inch Logan and another fits a 11 inch Logan. And there are three on eBay two that fit 11 Inch Logan’s and one that has no dial just a handle for front and back stops.

Yes, I saw those, thanks! I am fervently hoping to not need a new cross-slide... so far there is neither evidence that I do nor to counterindicate the purchase of the new gib and gib screws that I hope to install this week sometime.

Later: with apologies, I thought this ebay reference was to my cross-slide issues, not Rex's wonderful rebuild.
Tim

Last edited:
Buy it on eBay? Where’s the fun in that? I’m a hobby Machinist. I can make anything! Well, I’m going to try to anyway! That’s the good thing about being retired, plenty of time. First you have to think about it, then do a little work, and then think about it some more. Anyway, I can certainly see why someone would buy one off eBay when they didn’t have time to futz with it.... been there done that,

J.hawk

While I am rebuilding my lathe, too, this cross-slide wasn't really part of the rebuild. The original cross-slide works fine, I just find it too short, wanted a rear tool post for a cutoff tool, and didn't like the non-ferrous (zinc?) cover on the back. This longer cross slide is great for mounting a rear tool post, fixtures, jigs, whatever.

If I did it over again (unlikely!) I'd probably make a real tapered gib, and I'd try to figure out a way to make the compound easily removable. I'd probably be better off with a fixed tool post for at least 80% of what I do, for example. It would be nice if I could easily take the compound on and off.

STOP IT, REX!! First I need to get the dang lathe back to operational before I start thinking about further improvements! <laugh>

Back