Machining an aluminum rifle chassis (stock)

The whole stock will be made out of aluminum. Why would you want to use parts from another stock instead of machining them in solid square and level?

Cutting the barrel channel is going to be a series of straight cuts. If I make the v-blocks an integral part the lengthy cut becomes interrupted, I'd rather mill pockets in a complete channel, which should be easier to make flat and parallel then a relatively intricate v-block. I also think the action which only contacts at 4 small points should contact steel and not aluminum, the blocks Ruger uses are very tough stainless. Just worried about slight wear due to recoil over time.

Sherman,
Tikka T3 uses a similar approach but with a single metal insert in a plastic stock. The insert rests in a groove in the bottom of the receiver.
448 × 336 - ballisticstudies.com

Recoil is not held by friction but rather by contact of one surface butting against the other. There should be no movement on firing so wear is not an issue. Ruger's set-up seems stronger than Tikka's (to my mind anyway). There would be no problem using either aluminum, steel or stainless although the latter would be my top choice. The fit of the V block in the receiver would be more critical than the choice of metal.

Recoil from a 223 is not so high in the range of calibers available from Ruger so we should be well within the parameters of the design.

If you go the route of inserting V blocks in the stock they would have to be glued in solid. It might be worth considering how you will assure proper alignment of the receiver using this approach.
Ideally you could makeup a new set of V blocks so you don't have to cannibalize the OEM stock.

Sherman,
Tikka T3 uses a similar approach but with a single metal insert in a plastic stock. The insert rests in a groove in the bottom of the receiver.
448 × 336 - ballisticstudies.com

Recoil is not held by friction but rather by contact of one surface butting against the other. There should be no movement on firing so wear is not an issue. Ruger's set-up seems stronger than Tikka's (to my mind anyway). There would be no problem using either aluminum, steel or stainless although the latter would be my top choice. The fit of the V block in the receiver would be more critical than the choice of metal.

Recoil from a 223 is not so high in the range of calibers available from Ruger so we should be well within the parameters of the design.

If you go the route of inserting V blocks in the stock they would have to be glued in solid. It might be worth considering how you will assure proper alignment of the receiver using this approach.
Ideally you could makeup a new set of V blocks so you don't have to cannibalize the OEM stock.

I planned on just ordering some blocks from Ruger. Mostly because it's difficult to take measurements off them while they're in the stock. I agree with using a little bedding compound on the blocks the solidify the whole setup. As for the alignment, as long as my chunk of aluminum is indicated in perfectly perpendicular to the spindle, as long as I mill the pockets accurately (within 2 or so thou) the blocks should be in alignment.

Yes in theory. Anyways you can always dry fit everything to check if the barrel ends up centered in the channel.

Those Rugers must shoot a lot harder than all the other .223 bolt guns on the market to need custom stainless steel blocks to keep them in line! :rolleyes::encourage:

Back