Machining cast iron - do you cover your ways?

I use to cover them even when cutting welds . Cut so much cast iron when I sweat I use to rust . Even after hot showers , you taste it for months if you machine lots of it.

Yup, a respirator is a good idea too if you need to machine a good amount of it. This is what my lathe looks like today after vacuuming up all the chips. Look at all that fine dust. Yesterday when I went to wash up, it was black around my nostrils, not good. I was wondering why my lunch & dinner tasted funny. :)

Img_2619.jpg

Img_2623.jpg

I cut alot of cast iron, blocks and heads

To keep the dust off the machine ways, car wax, not oil works best
Good old school Turtle wax paste

Wax the ways, then the chips and dust blow away with compressed air

You also will want to make sure you wear a shirt that you don't care to much about. A white shirt will become yellow, especially if you sweat any (as Silverbullet mentioned) and the cast iron dust is airborne.

Thanks Mikey, We have two miniature dachshunds (Frank and Stewie) and they keep life interesting and fun.

I am with Nogoingback on using compressed air. It's like when you carefully tape and prep to sandblast something. No matter how much care you use the sand always seems to get into areas that you don't want it in.

not so much to protect the ways, but to reduce the mess, I not only cover the ways, but rig up my shop vac to catch most of the dust and debris before it hits the ways.

Back