Machining Coolant or Cutting Fluid?

Flood coolant is a great thing to spread all over your employer's floor while getting paid for it, and then get paid to clean it up. In a home shop, the mess is all yours and you own it...

I hooked up my mister for the first time today, to my surface grinder. I am in love with that already, much better finish, flatness, and size, and not a drop of coolant on the floor.

Flood coolant is a great thing to spread all over your employer's floor while getting paid for it, and then get paid to clean it up. In a home shop, the mess is all yours and you own it...

I hooked up my mister for the first time today, to my surface grinder. I am in love with that already, much better finish, flatness, and size, and not a drop of coolant on the floor.
Bob,
My sentiments exactly.

Nice that the mister us helping.
Evan

Wreck,
Pretty compelling case. I was questioning "spade bit", then I looked closer--by golly you've got a hardware store spade bit clamped in some sort of boring bar.

Evan
Actually it is a carbide inserted spade drill as seen here, through coolant that I didn't use because it is a PITA to set up for a few dozen parts.
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/79731097

They work a charm if one has the power and are not terribly expensive even by hobbyist standards.

How is that different from what’s needed for manual milling?
It's beneficial for manual milling and turning as well, but most modern CNC machines are capable of way higher material removal rates than a manual machine. For example Haas's smallest Mill has a 7.5 horsepower spindle motor.

It's beneficial for manual milling and turning as well, but most modern CNC machines are capable of way higher material removal rates than a manual machine. For example Haas's smallest Mill has a 7.5 horsepower spindle motor.
Holy cow--I knew that Haas could hog out material, but I had no idea how much power they had. No wonder the enclosure looks like a shower door when they're running. I have no interest in running that fast, but then again I'm not in this to make money, just to have fun.

Holy cow--I knew that Haas could hog out material, but I had no idea how much power they had. No wonder the enclosure looks like a shower door when they're running. I have no interest in running that fast, but then again I'm not in this to make money, just to have fun.

That's a baby machine a lot of cnc machines come with 30HP spindles. As you can imagine they can quickly generate a lot of chips and a lot of heat.

That's a baby machine a lot of cnc machines come with 30HP spindles. As you can imagine they can quickly generate a lot of chips and a lot of heat.
The more I learn the less I know...

These parts are a chip nightmare. I am removing 8 pounds of material per part, pushed the feed and speeds until the chips were under control and left it run unattended, working well so far. 970 FPM on the OD work and 450 FPM on the ID operation, these machines do not have CSS control which causes problems.

These parts are a chip nightmare. I am removing 8 pounds of material per part, pushed the feed and speeds until the chips were under control and left it run unattended, working well so far. 970 FPM on the OD work and 450 FPM on the ID operation, these machines do not have CSS control which causes problems.
Wreck, I am in awe of the heavy machining and large lots of parts you turn out. Very nice work, and please keep posting them. Most of us hobby guys never do anything like that. Still, it is nice to know some of your techniques and tricks in case we ever need to borrow it. But really, for most of the work I do, the techniques, tooling, machine size, and just about everything else needs to be different, simply because of the different stuff I have to work with and the projects I am making. Again, please keep showing us the work you do, great stuff!

Back