Machining on the big screen

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My son is running a long run (about 8 hours) job on my mill and we are live streaming the video because we're running ''dark''. This way we can watch the machine and don't have to be there. I'm at my desk in the house. This is probably the only CNC software on the planet that will run a job and live stream video at the same time. :grin:

Right now my son is at home, here is a screen shot of the machine running on his internet connected TV.

1518846649157.png

That's pretty cool there, Jim!

I'd be thinking, "Hmm, if there's a crash, I'm gonna' be running!"

Do you have a remote KILL SWITCH that you can click with your mouse?

Do you have a remote KILL SWITCH that you can click with your mouse?

I do have that capability, but it's not implemented for this run. I'm taking a chance that the worst case would be a broken end mill. Any catastrophic failure would suck, but there is not really much I could do. The video is delayed about 15 seconds, a lot could go wrong in 15 seconds :cautious:

A lot can happen in 15 sec, no doubt. Is it safe to assume that there are safeguards in the software that monitor for problems, current averages, travel limits, etc, that would stop the operation in event of problems?
I have no CNC experience so I’m just thinking with my fingertips.
Cool setup you have for sure!

Well there are travel limits. I do like the current averaging idea, the software does monitor the spindle load, but it's only informational, has no function in the program. Sounds like something I need to implement. I should implement encoder failure shutdown also.

Reactions: Z2V
It would be a vast improvement if you could stream the video to all of us. We could take turns on watch!
Robert

It would be a vast improvement if you could stream the video to all of us. We could take turns on watch!
Robert

I wish I could. Actually it was publically streaming to YouTube, but we have a forum rule against linking to your own YouTube channel due to some abuses by a couple of members. As far as I know there is no way to live stream directly to H-M.

Back