Machining Projects

304=not
303=smooth sailing

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlo, Did you have any issues with work hardening SS, I hear you have to be very careful when working with SS.. Was is 304 or 303?

Could you describe your technique. I really want to learn how to machine SS, it is a pretty metal when polished.

Thanks

Joe

I didn't have any work hardenin issues. The grade of SS I used is unknown. I got it from a gate that uses the bar stock as a keeper that you drop into a slot to keep a gate from sliding open. Also most of my cuts where over .020 until I got close enough to take a finish cut. I would assume it was a cheap grade of. Ss but a magnet wouldn't touch it. And it machined like butter. I love working with SS

Regards-Carlo

Thanks Carlo, once I finish my chuck project, I also want to try some stainless.

Joe

I absolutely love stainless. Just watching it cut and seeing a near chrome finish running my hand over it and hearing the swish of a perfect cut. I LOVE STAINLESS. Sorry got a bit excited. Now I try to make it a point to use stainless for all my projects. It welds nice cuts nice looks nice and it doesn't rust. And for the most part. Over a long period of time it still looks nearly brand new. There's so many good machining projects. Do you have any other machining tools aside from a lathe?

Regards-Carlo

Carlo, I have a LMS HiTorque mini mill and the Clausing lathe, I have 6" grinder and I just picked up a HF belt sander. I have built some CNC routers sold one and I have a Carvewright that I hate, because it has proprietary electronics, software and hardware, so I ripped the guts out of it and put some gecko controllers on it. But I still hate it as if any thing dies I have to buy stuff from Carvewright. I am planing to build another CNC router of my own design, once I learn more about machining.

When I get more time I want to CNC my mill.

You excitement is contagious, I want to start playing with stainless as well, that with brass thumb screws, I think that combination looks quite nice.

Thanks

Joe

I like the blued hardware personally. So you have a fairly well setup shop. Imagine something you want and get after it. Your imagination is the only boundary right now.

Regards-Carlo

Blued hardware? you mean the results of heat treating? That sounds interesting. Carlo, do you have any pictures of something you have made?

Would love to see that finish.

Thanks

Joe

As of right now I haven't been able to successfully blue any parts. The finish is never what I'd like. I'm working on getting it right but I have nothing I'd show at the moment.

Regards-Carlo

Thanks Carlo, I would be interested to see something when you get a finish you like.

Thanks

Joe

Back