Machining rusty stock

@Saxguy,

Holy Cow that's a well-built and heavy hydraulic press!

You're obviously not just cracking wallnuts with that thing.....

Great build.
thanks for sharing those pictures!

Brian

Muriatic acid has a special affinity for rust so it's a good choice. Just be sure to neutralize with baking soda afterwards
The acid fumes are very destructive to any tools nearby
-Mark

White vinegar will work just fine, not as much of a hazard to you or the metal objects around as hydrochloric acid.

The electrolytic method of removing rust might generate less-obnoxious fumes, compared to muriatic acid. But if you already have a quantity of vinegar on hand, you should be good to go.

Electrolysis will release hydrogen gas so to be safe I wouldn't do it inside.

Vinegar is what I use for small parts, nuts and bolts I want to save.
Overnight and a trip to the wire wheel on the bench grinder than a good rinse w/mineral spirits.

A bit more detail showing adjustments (brass wear plates) for taking up slop in press slide (shuttle).
Sorry, maybe I should do a seperate post of the whole hydraulic press build?

Attachments

• Hydraulic shuttle fitted.JPG
    Hydraulic shuttle fitted.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 15
A bit more detail showing adjustments (brass wear plates) for taking up slop in press slide (shuttle).
... but that is the sort of stuff I'm making, some of which is from old boiler plate etc.

Yes! That’s a fine looking machine you are building. Are you going to make knifes and Damascus steel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back