Machining some bronze bushings to fit in pipe

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Today I got started on the project of boring out some schedule 80 pipe to fit some 2 inch OD bronze bushings. There are six bushings to
be made for a light press fit. I used my home made steady rest as the pipe was too large to fit inside the hole in the lathe. So I got one
bronze installed and called that good enough for a Sunday. Here's a couple photos of the setup and of the pipes and bronze. Tomorrow I
will start on the rest. The parts are for a band saw sawmill, a work in progress for a neighbor and new friend.

edit: Actually my caption needs to read "Machining some pipe to fit some bronze bushings"
P1030166.JPGP1030167.JPGP1030168.JPG

Last edited:
Likely you will be unable to get a clean round hole to accurate size running the steady rest on the OD of the pipe, which is bound to be irregular, it would be best to take a light skim cut on the pipe, supported by a center, that is wide enough to fit the width of the steady rest rolls. If you can make all the SR spots the same diameter, it will make the job of alignment much easier.

Nice set up. Lookin good.
Those bronze bushings are pretty forgiving. Do you plan to bore them to final dimension after they are installed in the pipe?

Nice set up. Lookin good.
Those bronze bushings are pretty forgiving. Do you plan to bore them to final dimension after they are installed in the pipe?

They are at their final dimension. This is a project for someone else and am helping him out with his project as
he doesn't have a lathe. The rods that fit inside the bronze are chrome plated rods like one would see on a
bucket cylinder on a tractor or skid steer. There isn't much clearance there so the setup will have to be precise
or it could bind. The motor and drive wheels will be supported by the bronzed pipes allowing the motor assembly,
a pair of wheels and band saw blade to be raised and lowered.

There isn't much clearance there so the setup will have to be precise
or it could bind
The bushing may compress during installation in the pipe. Will you be checking the bushings ID to confirm the fit before they leave your shop?

The bushing may compress during installation in the pipe. Will you be checking the bushings ID to confirm the fit before they leave your shop?

Yes, that is a concern. If the setup works properly, there will be little friction between the bronze and the chrome rods.
That is why I am not going to install the bronze with a hydraulic press. I really need to go and get the chromed rods
for fit and finish of this project. Assuming this system works as intended, it will be a very nice running mill. The chromed
rods will have to be parallel to less than .001 if this plan is to work as the weldment with the bronze bushings has to move up
and down over two feet smoothly. The mounting of the chromed rods will need to be bolted to the frame and somewhat adjustable
so it can be pinned to position once fitted up.

When I tried to do something like that I found the pipe so out of round the steady didn't work right. I had to stick a bull nose center in the pipe and machine bands for the steady to run on.

When I tried to do something like that I found the pipe so out of round the steady didn't work right. I had to stick a bull nose center in the pipe and machine bands for the steady to run on.
That is what I suggested above, otherwise there is no guarantee that the holes at each end will be in alignment with the other end, and the rod may slip perfectly through one end and be offset at the other end.

Back