Machining steel forgings

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Couple of weeks back i stopped by a scrapyard and brought about 30 kg of steel forgings there was much more but i only choose the solid one i'm pretty sure they are for making bearings, but the concerned i had was can i machine them, so last night i decided to chuck one and try it, and it machined it, left very shiny finish which shows the hardness, so they can be used i'll put them away with the rest of my small steel pieces for future projects.
DSC_0018.JPGDSC_0023.JPG

forging doesn't mean they are hard. a steering component i have manufactured are forged but malleable. i have some wheel hubs that are forged then heat treated and tempered. they are harder to turn but not like true "hard turning"

I bored forgings for hubs on the rollers we built for the tire industry. They always machined nicely and had a good finish. But when you shop at the scrap yard you can end up with anything. The best thing about it is if you find any you can't machine take them back to the scrap yard on your next trip.

I admire your resourcefulness! It’s times like this that make me think when I have the easy ability to just order online the exact material I need and have it delivered to my door.

The price difference is really what makes me go to the same place new round steel cost from 1,5$-2$, in the scrapyard is 0,20$ and for home projects is a way to keep them cheap, but can be addicting, late last year i went there looking for a large piece of pipe to make couple of spacer rings for a friend, but in the corner spotted an freshly delivered car with good set of rims, and new tires so i ask him how much for the wheels, he fire up a loader pick the car up saying somepting how much it weighed and told me a price lower then a one set of tires. I ask him jokingly for the whole car and the answer was: yes delivered with in the hour, so i paid him and a hour latter it got delivered, so instead with 10 kg scrap i ended up with 1,5 tons, the car it self is in fully working order with only a damaged hood and a busted windscreen, possibly an buggy build for the future.

Back