Machining Work for an "Artist"...Is It Possible?

Hey Phil, Is this a friend of yours ???
If so and you don't want to just tell him no, you might try explaining to him that without a drawing or model to work from, the cost could rapidly go up. Wasted material, tooling (might have to buy a tool/mill you don't have and then not need because he changes his mind), wasted time because you need to set up the piece again because he wanted to handle it out of the vise, etc...
If he's an artist, one would think he could either make a clay model or, with help, make a CAD rendition. That would at least give you (and him) a starting point to work with. Changes could be made on later revisions.
Could also prototype this project out of wax or some other material that could be re-molded/re-used, faster to machine, less wear and tear on machines and tooling, lower final cost.

This is easy. I once had a CPA. When I came into his office to discuss taxes we would talk for some time about the usual; how you doing? any new guns? been hunting? hows the wife? let's go out and have a beer after.

When the BS was done he would hit a big stop clock on his desk and say, "The money starts flowing my way right now". And from that moment on it was all business. After we concluded business he would hit the stop button and we went out for that beer. He billed me to the minute for time "on the clock". Of course that wasn't his entire bill he had other work to do in preparing my return but at least it was good to know he wasn't billing for "BS" time.

Tell the "artist", "My hourly rate is $XXX.00 and the clock starts now. I'll make and remake anything within my ability while the clock runs".

If his masterpiece HAS to be made of machined metal which is beyond his artistic ability, you might suggest that he find a medium which he can handle, like the previously mentioned balsa wood, or clay, or origami, or, or, or... and have him bring you his finished creation in that medium so you can physically measure and replicate it. He gets to do his artistic magic as his creative juices flow and you get to machine something in a halfway sane way and he gets to take credit for it. Otherwise, I've heard that flying a kite is a somewhat artistic activity that you might suggest he try. ;)

Tom

You know, he could make it in a CAD program, make all the adjustments he wants, and then hand that over for you to make. I recomend fusion 360. It would be free to him (assuming his art business does less than 100k per year). The whole concept of workholding has probably not occured to him, I expect, so don't expect him to draw something that will be easy to build.

Art and craft divided, you the craftsman and they the artist.
It is not uncommon for artists to hire additional help to craft their work. Richard Serra's Torqued Ellipses, are probably the most extreme examples of such an arrangement. Imagine the crew in a shipyard bending 2" thick 12'X40' steel plates into the artists vision. It might be a difficult arrangement but it might also be worth it in the end.
It is what it is, perhaps frustrating at times but if you agreed to do it, I would try to see it to completion.

Been there done that...would not do it again! "Artsy" types of work are a real pain for me. I used to do quite a bit of cosmetic parts for local car guys. They only ever have an idea of what they want and leave the details to you, so you spend hours CADing the part up then machining it only for them to tell you "this looks great!!...BUT lets change this". Rinse and repeat that like 5 times.

I did charge for my design time and every part I made but that process is a real drag to me.

Its different than prototyping work (which I love) where you have a set of parameters/goals you would like your part to meet, you may have to do a couple design changes along the way but at least you could see where you are headed. Art type work is a never ending story.

You know, he could make it in a CAD program, make all the adjustments he wants, and then hand that over for you to make. I recommend fusion 360.

Is this a "One off item ?" If not, another option is eMachineshop (https://www.emachineshop.com/). It's a basic 2D CAD program available for free download and he could submit it for bids to produce many of them, unless you plan to make them for him. eMachineshop does do 3D renderings as well.

I am limited on what I can say about this project, but can say we are making a prototype which will be made of multiple parts and assemblies. Hopefully, it would be something where there is a demand for it, and would be manufactured in quantity. This is not like a sculpture or anything of the sort, but a functioning mechanical thing that a person uses. It absolutely can be clearly defined and laid out in a CAD drawing, and in my opinion, definitely should (and will be mandatory if manufactured in quantity). But, my friend is making parts with me, made to specs only he knows and changes in his head as the chips fly. Asking for a dimension is met with uncertainty. It does drive me crazy.

I do not know 3D CAD, and really want to learn it (I have Alibre Pro 2014), and found motivation to learn it with this project, until I found out the approach my friend wants to use.

Phil

Even for an hourly rate, some jobs are not worth doing and some people are not worth working for. If you're into the artistic aspect, it might be enjoyable. If you aren't enjoying it, I would say find a useful project to build that will improve your skills.

I am limited on what I can say about this project, but can say we are making a prototype which will be made of multiple parts and assemblies. Hopefully, it would be something where there is a demand for it, and would be manufactured in quantity. This is not like a sculpture or anything of the sort, but a functioning mechanical thing that a person uses. It absolutely can be clearly defined and laid out in a CAD drawing, and in my opinion, definitely should (and will be mandatory if manufactured in quantity). But, my friend is making parts with me, made to specs only he knows and changes in his head as the chips fly. Asking for a dimension is met with uncertainty. It does drive me crazy.

I do not know 3D CAD, and really want to learn it (I have Alibre Pro 2014), and found motivation to learn it with this project, until I found out the approach my friend wants to use.

Phil

Phil,

Actually, it is your friend that needs to learn a CAD program. He is the one doing the designing. Because if you learn CAD now, he will only be looking over your shoulder as you do the design, not unlike the situation you have now just using different equipment. You'll have the same frustrations.

Back