Machining Work for an "Artist"...Is It Possible?

It's the same old story. Someone wants you to machine a part and is able to describe their vision in great detail but their ideals
aren't conveyed by their words and they have no idea what's involved in machining. They refuse to produce legible drawings
or answer questions in an understandable manor because you should share their vision.
Usually, what they propose isn't reasonable and perhaps not possible or wouldn't work without a great deal of further engineering
which they feel you should provide.
I'm happy to help friends out but I don't do mind reading and will walk away if they want me to do so or spend a great deal of time engineering, or to absorb their expenses.

First the answer to your title.

YES. An artist can use any media for expression. Many machinists and craftsmen are artists in their own right. The artistic part of their work is just so subtle that it can not usually be appreciated by the masses. That is not to say that art for the masses or even the art snobs can not also be machined. It can, but often it must be done by the artist himself.

In answer to your post. I do custom work all the time. Often I have little more than a 2D crude sketch of an organic shape. Sometimes not that much. However when I do it the customer gives me all their information and I try to make the image on the computer match the image inside my head, and I try to make the image inside my head match the image inside their head. I do NOT stand there taking feedback in real time and shift on the fly. That would be very frustrating to me. I think if I felt the person I was working with had tru artistic talent (and the right attitude for it) I would try to teach them the skills rather than reach inside their mind and try to express their thoughts for them.

I recall I took a few art classes over the years. I think most of the teachers were just lazy (**cks). They didn't teach about styles, skills, and techniques. They told us to do random abstract crap. They practically refused to teach us any skills styles or techniques other than the most rudimentary tripe. In high school I had one section of one class that taught me a lot. We did about a month on oil painting and the teacher taught us how to stretch and prep canvas, block out a painting, lay down background colors to show through to give highlights or change tones. Then she told us all to copy a master. I chose a DaVinci, and others chose other masters. Of all the tripe projects I did (and won some awards for at the county fair) that is the only one I still have. It hangs on the wall in my house and I see it every day. It was never "judged" and never won an award.

Anyway, I feel that teachers have stunted artists by not teaching them technique, style, and forcing them to develop skills. If they truly have a talent for abstract art they will break out of the rote work on their own. If they don't you really do not want them to. Well, I don't anyway. I've been to a lot of museums and I am amazed at how much garbage is out there that shows no skill or technique and does not evoke any true emotional response except maybe confusion and irritation.

So my answer might be to hone your skills by teaching them to the artist.

As a contractor by vocation, I am constantly involved with bringing a "designer" "Architect", "Artist" 's vision to reality. In most cases it is a compromise where the reality of costs and time slam head long into the clients requests.

The very best advice I can offer is to have a conversation explaining that they may need to do a bit more "homework" before you can widdle out their design in hard real materials.

Time is money, they may embrace the starving artists mentality, no reason you should too.

I don't get anything about the OP that he thinks his friends methods are wrong, so much as they are having a clash of styles.

It is a little like bit like that team building exercise where there is a drawing of a several shapes. One partner has the picture, the other has to draw it based only on a verbal description from their partner. Only in this case instead of drawing it is metal turning at 2000 rpm.

I do the 'artist' thing all the time, and it works well for me. But then I'm left-handed and think in pictures. YMMV. ;)

I can't be bothered with taking the time to make drawings, because to be honest, I don't need them. If you do, fine. But don't bash someone who does things differently than you do.

There's no problem with doing things differently. But the OP's "friend" is asking for a favor, and a fairly substantial one at that. If the "artist"
wants to do his own thing, great: he is free to buy a machine, tool it up and learn to use it. Or, he is free to pay a machinist by the
hour to do design and prototyping at the same time. But, since he's asking for a favor a certain amount of courtesy to the OP seems like
a good idea. Artistic license is no excuse for selfishness.

Honestly whimsy is what 3d printers and cad is for. After you nail it down you then make it out of metal.

If the "artist" wants to do his own thing, great: he is free to buy a machine, tool it up and learn to use it. Or, he is free to pay a machinist by the hour to do design and prototyping at the same time.

........and since it's concurrent "design and prototyping" it should be double-rate.
That should take the sting out of working someone else's way.
-brino

I am the OP, and was insistent on drawings. He provided a 2D drawing with dimensions. We did some work together in the shop, but it is becoming clear it is best I work alone. Still too much of on the fly adjusting by him. It is tiresome, slow, and frustrating. So, I am now left with a chunk of black Delrin to machine. Now that I see the desired end product, I can devise the best path to produce it and return it. The time is becoming heavier than I want, so will tell him I will do it, as a favor, but my time is valued, and the best use of it, for this, is to leave me be while I do what is necessary.

Phil

On the driving you crazy portion of this collaboration: Limit his time with you. 4 hrs a day at top billing! Just stipulate that as other work comes in, you reserve the right to cut his time back in order to keep the economy going.

Hi Phil,
I hope you don't feel you thread was "hijacked", I feel it has been an interesting discussion into human nature.
Since you have been left alone to do some work, it sounds like you have already come to a better understanding with this friend.
I wish you happy machining and much less frustration.
-brino

Back