Machinist jacks

Well here they are. Mostly finished. I would like to make some parts that will fit into the top that have a point on them to go in a hole. Also haven't decided whether to mill a slot across them or make a piece that sets on top.
Aliva, I will probably drill some holes around the knurled cap.
One thing I did after cleaning everything up was to use some lapping compound on the threads. A couple of them weren't really smooth along the full length, so a few spins and they really fell better.
I have about $25 in materials and a few hours on the lathe.
With every project I do it seems like there is a jig or tool that would make it a little easier to do.
Joe Hynes View attachment 320216View attachment 320217View attachment 320218View attachment 320219
Very nicely done. Just made some of these out of heat treated 4140. It is fairly hard material but finishes very nice. Beautiful work sir!

-Mitch H.

I just bookmarked this link. Add it to my growing pile of projects. Thanks!

I am always impressed with those little "extras" that enhance the appearance of a project like this. The taper on these makes me want to learn to have more patience and spend a little more time with my own projects. Nice work ... :encourage:

Back