[4]

Machinist-Style Haircut???

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

TTD

Registered
For almost 3 months now the General (wife) has been nagging at me to get my haircut. I didn’t think it was a big deal (never have) & it most certainly wasn’t high on my priority list…in fact, I don’t recall it being on my list at all, to be honest.

Anyways, I was in the process of turning down some 5/8” o/d x 6” long 1144 rod when I apparently must have thought that this would be a good time to trim my hair, a-la “machinist-style”….I don’t recommend it.

m_Lathe Haircut.jpg

....and there is a lot more than what you see sticking up wound around between live center & end of bar...:cower:

Scared the bejeezus out of me at first, then stared in disbelief for a minute at my handywork , then giggled for a bit at my stupidity & then finally thought about what could have transpired, which stopped the giggling immediately.

Being the type that, 1) learns best from a hand's-on approach, & 2) usually a quick learner, I've combined these two skills & come to the conclusion that you really do need to pay attention to your surroundings ALL of the time around a lathe... :grin:

I promised the wife I will get a haircut on my way home tomorrow!

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
You are lucky. Enjoy your second lease on life.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
This happened a few times on the automatic screw machines where I worked. The hair, or clothing sometimes, Of the younger generation would get caught and the result was much worse that yours. You are a lucky man my friend.

"Billy G"

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)

wendell

Registered
Don’t be glib. You’re lucky to be alive.

dlane

Active User
Lucky you didn’t get scalped, I used to always tie mine back when working on anything

Last edited:
F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
That was far too close Todd. Glad your here to laugh about it.
Your hairs probably too short, need it long enough for a pony tail. Worked for me for years. But hurt like heck when it caught in the wheels of a creeper, which it did all the time.

Greg

dulltool17

Active User
Registered
Sheizzzzz!

100LL

I heard of a gal losing her life working a lathe and getting her hair caught in the chuck. The thought image of that sequence is horrifying.

mmcmdl

Staff member
I heard of a gal losing her life working a lathe and getting her hair caught in the chuck. The thought image of that sequence is horrifying.
Spinning chuck jaws and heads don't get along well . The lathe will continue running and this usually doesn't end well for the user . TTD is a very , very fortunate person .

Old junk

Registered
Go buy a lottery ticket,one very lucky guy.glad all is well.

BtoVin83

Registered
A friend of mine was leaning over filing a shaft wearing a loose t shirt and it promptly wrapped around the lead screw. He was quick enough and braced his arms against ways and the shirt ripped of of him leaving nothing but sleeves. Good thing it wasn't a new t shirt.

Rooster

Safety Glasses, No Loose clothing, Sleeves rolled Up, No Jewelry and File Left Handed. Learned that in Junior High school.
You Sir are VERY LUCKY too still have a scalp.

NortonDommi

Registered
Glad that you are O.K. f350ca made a good point about tying hair back,(ditto on the creeper!), I have long hair and beard and hair goes in a bun and beard too. Very quick and easy to do if long enough. Hair ties and a hair net? Just be safe your second chance may be your only one.

Trip

Registered
Met a guy that got his long beard caught in an impact tore half his face off from his chin to his nose . Trimmed my beard short the next day

TTD

Registered
Thanks guys for all the tips/advice & well wishes…I do appreciate it.

Looking back, I suppose I shouldn’t have made my original post in a joking manner as I know damn well it’s no laughing matter….poor taste of words on my part. I think I was just happy & relieved to come out of it relatively unscathed. Normally, I am quite cautious & aware of my surroundings, but one momentary lapse of attention &, as you can see, things can go downhill FAST.
It all happened in the blink of an eye, yet in slow motion at the same time. The instant I felt my hair getting snagged, I knew I was in a really bad way, so quickly planted my hands on bench & ripped my head away before it wound too close to my scalp.

I honestly believe my only saving grace in this situation was the fact that I only have a 1/2hp, 7x12 mini lathe. No excuse to be complacent with, I know, but had it been any larger w/more horsepower, I’m sure the outcome would have been different…& not in a good way.

I originally wasn’t even going to post about my mishap (more embarrassing now than anything), but then thought that if even 1 person (think “newbie”) saw this thread & realizes what can happen if you don’t pay attention, then it will be well worth any flak or ridicule I may receive (not that I have).

Mini lathes/mills are basically regarded as the “Tonka Toys” of machining due to their size/lack of rigidity, but make no mistake - they can & WILL bite you given the opportunity.

TTD

Registered
Different machinery, but same principal - when I was a kid in public school (grade 6 or 7) I remember hearing about a classmate’s father being killed in the hayfield when his shirt tail got caught in the flywheel of a baler as he was walking by to check something out. PTO was disengaged, but anyone familiar with balers know that that big flywheel keeps spinning for a loooong time after. His oldest son apparently witnessed the whole ordeal…I couldn’t imagine the horror.

jcp

The shop I worked in had a picture beside the time clock of a scalp hanging from a lathe chuck. The owner said the picture came from a government machine shop safety booklet during WWII. A wake up call for sure.

kvt

Active User
Glad you are ok, Prob still had a sore head. Glad you posted for others to remind all of us to pay attention.
I had long hair and tied it back and normally wore a hat also, But have got it cut shorter now, but still long enough that I pull it back in a band and wear a hat. Be careful all.

PHPaul

Registered
One of the few benefits of being follically challenged, I guess. Do need to remember to button long sleeves and watch loose clothing. Altho, come to think of it, given my "Bulk Up for Winter Hibernation" program, loose clothing hasn't been a problem for a while either...

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
You guys are making me very glad I go with a buzz cut. As we all know, clothing can be just as dangerous. Thanks for the reminder and I'm glad you were not seriously injured.

Nogoingback

When I was in high school, they offered a print shop class, full of very old, large machines with all kinds of exposed parts. The guy that
taught the class was, like you, a lucky man. A printing press yanked a tie off his neck one day,
but he was wearing a clip on tie, so he survived. After that he always wore a bow tie.

brino

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I originally wasn’t even going to post about my mishap (more embarrassing now than anything), but then thought that if even 1 person (think “newbie”) saw this thread & realizes what can happen if you don’t pay attention, then it will be well worth any flak or ridicule I may receive (not that I have).
Geez Todd that was too close of a call!
Thanks for posting, we all need a little wake-up occasionally so we don't get complacent.
I am glad you weren't hurt worse.
-brino

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
Along the same lines, whenever I watch Keith Fenner, I always wonder how dangerous is his beard which is beaded and pointing straight down.
It's along the same lines.

stioc

Registered
Registered
Glad you're ok. Reminder for self and for others (kids, wife etc) around me in the garage and should be on a sign: No gloves, loose clothing, long hair, rings, watches etc. I've seen it first handed when the chip brush got its hair yanked out in a split second, it didn't stand a chance!

C

cg285

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
My friend was killed down at Beth Steel years back . Chuck jaws on a very large lathe grabbed him . From what I heard , it wasn't pretty . Consider yourself very lucky that hair pulled out !

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1991-08-22/news/1991234019_1_bethlehem-steel-lathe-steel-employees
hard to believe someone would get electrocuted from a toaster (120v) i guess it happens. my high school electronics teacher used to have a power cord (plugged into a live outlet) with 2 bare ends and he challenged any student to grab ahold. i never did but he did a lot.

kev74

Registered
TTD, I'm glad you're ok. Don't apologize fot using humor to get the point across. Its a valid coping technique that has helped me personally get through some sketchy experiences - plus look at all the discussion and attention it generated!

hard to believe someone would get electrocuted from a toaster (120v) i guess it happens. my high school electronics teacher used to have a power cord (plugged into a live outlet) with 2 bare ends and he challenged any student to grab ahold. i never did but he did a lot.
I've met a few older electricians with ridiculously calloused thumbs from using them to check for current. After the callouses got thick enough, they'd have to lick the thumb first to be able to feel it. As it was explained to me, if the electricity goes in and comes out right next to each other, there's no problem. But if the current travels through the trunk of the body, then the bad stuff happens.

mmcmdl

Staff member
As I heard , there was water spilled on the floor which he was standing in . Probably had something to do with it .

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
I watch lots of YouTube being laid up. I cringe every time I see Keith fenner with his chinny band wrapped beard . I've tried to spread the SAFTEY word even to those who should know better. Not with any harsh words just politely asking they be better examples as there teaching with the videos they put out.
I'm very happy your not saverely injured. Seems we have to learn the hard way , why I just don't understand . Try to teach and show the correct way then you have the youtubers showing no respect for SAFTEY , very young man making videos grinding on a surface grinder mounting used wheel and proceeds to grinding. No SAFTEY practised at all no glasses , didn't ring the wheel or Ck balance . I begged him to please learn SAFTEY and wear SAFTEY glasses. It's the parents fault if he gets hurt or worse ,, machines don't care or feel anything.

[6]
[5] [7]