Machinist-Style Haircut???

One of the few benefits of being follically challenged, I guess. Do need to remember to button long sleeves and watch loose clothing. Altho, come to think of it, given my "Bulk Up for Winter Hibernation" program, loose clothing hasn't been a problem for a while either...

You guys are making me very glad I go with a buzz cut. As we all know, clothing can be just as dangerous. Thanks for the reminder and I'm glad you were not seriously injured.

When I was in high school, they offered a print shop class, full of very old, large machines with all kinds of exposed parts. The guy that
taught the class was, like you, a lucky man. A printing press yanked a tie off his neck one day,
but he was wearing a clip on tie, so he survived. After that he always wore a bow tie.

I originally wasn’t even going to post about my mishap (more embarrassing now than anything), but then thought that if even 1 person (think “newbie”) saw this thread & realizes what can happen if you don’t pay attention, then it will be well worth any flak or ridicule I may receive (not that I have).

Geez Todd that was too close of a call!
Thanks for posting, we all need a little wake-up occasionally so we don't get complacent.
I am glad you weren't hurt worse.
-brino

Glad you're ok. Reminder for self and for others (kids, wife etc) around me in the garage and should be on a sign: No gloves, loose clothing, long hair, rings, watches etc. I've seen it first handed when the chip brush got its hair yanked out in a split second, it didn't stand a chance!

Reactions: TTD
My friend was killed down at Beth Steel years back . Chuck jaws on a very large lathe grabbed him . From what I heard , it wasn't pretty . Consider yourself very lucky that hair pulled out !

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1991-08-22/news/1991234019_1_bethlehem-steel-lathe-steel-employees

hard to believe someone would get electrocuted from a toaster (120v) i guess it happens. my high school electronics teacher used to have a power cord (plugged into a live outlet) with 2 bare ends and he challenged any student to grab ahold. i never did but he did a lot.

TTD, I'm glad you're ok. Don't apologize fot using humor to get the point across. Its a valid coping technique that has helped me personally get through some sketchy experiences - plus look at all the discussion and attention it generated!

hard to believe someone would get electrocuted from a toaster (120v) i guess it happens. my high school electronics teacher used to have a power cord (plugged into a live outlet) with 2 bare ends and he challenged any student to grab ahold. i never did but he did a lot.
I've met a few older electricians with ridiculously calloused thumbs from using them to check for current. After the callouses got thick enough, they'd have to lick the thumb first to be able to feel it. As it was explained to me, if the electricity goes in and comes out right next to each other, there's no problem. But if the current travels through the trunk of the body, then the bad stuff happens.

As I heard , there was water spilled on the floor which he was standing in . Probably had something to do with it .

I watch lots of YouTube being laid up. I cringe every time I see Keith fenner with his chinny band wrapped beard . I've tried to spread the SAFTEY word even to those who should know better. Not with any harsh words just politely asking they be better examples as there teaching with the videos they put out.
I'm very happy your not saverely injured. Seems we have to learn the hard way , why I just don't understand . Try to teach and show the correct way then you have the youtubers showing no respect for SAFTEY , very young man making videos grinding on a surface grinder mounting used wheel and proceeds to grinding. No SAFTEY practised at all no glasses , didn't ring the wheel or Ck balance . I begged him to please learn SAFTEY and wear SAFTEY glasses. It's the parents fault if he gets hurt or worse ,, machines don't care or feel anything.

Back