Machinist-Style Haircut???

you can see from my avatar pic that I have frizzy hair, well that was in 83, today I have dreadlocks! whenever I work with anything that rotates, all my hair goes in a long "snood" and that goes down the back of my short sleved shirt, I dont wear a watch or rings, and I am constantly aware that we all work with machines that could kill is in any number of interesting ways! Be carefull out there people!

Hi Guys,

Quite a few years back, I attended a course on washing machine servicing. The instructor wore a neck tie and whilst the machine was running, lent over the top and his tie dropped into the machine and caught on the drum pulley, dragging his head down onto the top of the back edge of the tub and machine case. He ended up with over 40 stitches in his face and neck plus lacerations to his hands. Since then I've always worn clip on neck ties.

Just read this article. Talk about an unsafe workplace! That many workplace deaths in such a short period of time seems impossible. Terrible that people lose their lives working for others. I would think the management there would do something about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vtcnc , they had some big butt machinery down there . I'm talking BIG ! The one lathe was at least 3 stories high ! I went down on an interview just before Sammy was killed , and decided it wasn't the place for me . They did some pretty crazy stuff down there that I couldn't believe . They have been shut down for years now . I never got the exact details on Sammy's accident , but he was always safety conscience on the job . I'm thinking he must have had gloves on and a stringy chip grabbed him .

Either way , machinery doesn't recognize humans from metal , it's going to cut whatever is in its path . Stay safe ! :)

Wneh I was 13 (53 years ago!) I went on a metalwork class trip to Park Gate Steelworks at Rotheram in Yorkshire. Watched the blast furnace being tapped and plugged, saw the men tending the open heartn furnaces, and also wathched the rolling of huge RSJ's in the rolling mil That men worked day in day out in those conditions was just amazing. To watch a furnaceman tip a bucket of water over his head, then pick up a shovel full of minerals, nod to the doorman, and two 30ft high doors to the mouth of hell open, the water on his back steams, and he spins round and launches the contents of his shovel throigh the already closing doors. Men indeed! Now that was a dangerous job.

I had an interesting experience two days ago. I am repurposing some steel that I built a shed frame out of som 30 years ago. The shed was dismantled last year in preparation for a new build this coming year. When I built it it was middle of Winter and I was dodging rain. Now I picked up some of the purlins that I had used and one was quite heavy and I could hear water? sloshing back and forth. This was very strange as I had welded end caps on. We are in the start of Summer now and it was a very hot day. I sloshed the liquid back and forth, propped the beam this way and that but could find no leak anywhere. I can't use it like this methinks so I decided to lop one endcap off and drain it.
Now I have a habit of never using an angle grinder without a jacket, leather apron, stout gloves and a full face shield along with hearing protection and a dust mask. This is due to having seen a few disks explode over the years.
Now it was a very hot day so I wore a forestry helmet which is a hard hat with attached mesh grill, ear muffs and a splash guard down the back of the neck. I find this great in Summer as the mesh gives protection and does not steam up. I wear safety glasses as well. The only thing I was not wearing was a dust mask as I had stuck the box in the safe place that my grandkids or an archeologist will find.
I used a Lennox Diamond 115 mm cut-off wheel on a small grinder. As the wheel penetrated the end of the beam there was a very brief hissing sound and a sheet of flame rushed out. Luckily I do not stand directly over where I am cutting so the worst of it missed me but some of it hit my right chest and shoulder and licked up the side of my face.
I now have a very close beard trim on that side, no eyelash, only a bit of eyebrow and slightly singed skin. The way it happened I think it would have been worse if I had been wearing the Lexan face shield I sometime wear.
What I poured out was a Black tacky substance that smelled like a stagnant swamp so I will assume it was a Methane gas BLEVE.
I have no Idea what the substance was but since I built the original structure between rain storms in Winter over a period of about three weeks I am wondering if something had crawled into the beam or nested in it and got trapped when I capped it.
This was certainly unexpected and I was glad I had decided to wear all the gear even though it was only a small quick job as it could have been much worse.
Yes folks if there is a next time I will do it properly and drill a hole first but I honestly thought it would only be water. Just goes to show you never know so wear the gear.

I had a brother in-law loose his pants twice to a saw-mill.
I lost a long sleeve off my shirt to a grinder years ago.

Yes, thanks for posting.
As I was reading through these stories, I was imaging the gore that went along with the tragic accidents that never should have happened.
I’m assuming most of us hobby machinists had some form of safety training relating to lathes and drill presses.
I’m in my 60’s, back in intermediate school and through High school we had very good shop safety training.
I’d like to ask the younger forum members about their safety awareness and training.
My sons are in their 30’s, they did not benefit from high school shop training because it was not offered.
When I bought my South Bend lathe, I told my wife, I’ll need to take off my wedding band from now on.
First time in 34 years.

Years ago the wife of one of our neighbors was cranking an irrigation engine. Her long hair got caught in the exposed drive shaft. It flipped her over the shaft and slammed her into the ground. She lived, but was completely scalped. She had to wear wigs the rest of her life.

Neighbor had many scrapes with farm equipment, last one killed Him. One of them was having a big JD tractor loose a PTO driveshaft loosing a long pin and sticking it through the calf of His leg and into the ground pinning Him solid and stalling the tractor. Stalling a tractor through the PTO???????. Many more stories like that, He thought they were all funny and laughed about them all the time.

Just read this article. Talk about an unsafe workplace! That many workplace deaths in such a short period of time seems impossible. Terrible that people lose their lives working for others. I would think the management there would do something about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before he retired, my Dad was a Safety Engineer for Bethlehem at their South San Francisco and Pinole Point plants. This was when OSHA
was pretty new, and he said getting both the workers and management to pay attention to even basic safety practices was very difficult. It was
a very frustrating job for him, and they had some pretty awful accidents. And, of course, management didn't want to spend a dime to add
guards or railings, buy safety gear etc, etc.

Back