machinists handbook

older copies usually go for less money look for a 14th to 18th edition- they come up reasonably often[/QUOT

older copies usually go for less money look for a 14th to 18th edition- they come up reasonably often
After around 40 years of working with computers, an iPod, an iPhone, a 27” high def second screen on one computer an a second computer with 12” and 23” screens, oh and a kindle, I still prefer the printed word on paper.
Curling up on the couch with a book and a maybe a cold beer. I still print documents from the web for reading.

Just a grumpy old fart

If you aren't too fussy with which edition you get can find them pretty cheap on ebay. I recently bought a 24th edition for less than $20 with free shipping.

Something I don't see mentioned too often is there is also a guide to the handbook which is pretty helpful in explaining what all the stuff in the handbook is for and how to use the information.

I got the matching 24th ed guide for less than $6 with free shipping, as I'm not a professional machinist and not a math wizard I think the guide is pretty handy. The guide references pages in the handbook, so it is a good idea to get the same edition guide as handbook or you will be hunting around to match up the pages.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what happened but I took out all the duplicate posts.
**G**

It all depends on how old your machine tools are, and how old the equipment is you're working on. Every few years some older information is deleted and new information is added. I do a lot of work on older and antique equipment. As such I have around a dozen different editions. The oldest is a reprint of the first edition, while the newest is around edition 28 or so.

The old ones have a lot of information on now obsolete threads and fasteners. They also delve into HSS and carbon steel cutting tools. The newer ones have information on metric threads and fasteners, and carbide,and ceramic cutting tools.

Bought the large print 30th version on Amazon Prime. Pricey yes, but less than $100 shipped. I have not yet sprung for the CD, although I would like to have it.

Bought the large print 30th version on Amazon Prime. Pricey yes, but less than $100 shipped. I have not yet sprung for the CD, although I would like to have it.
Give us an report on it's content. I'm interested in what is new stuff they may have added.
Ken

Give us an report on it's content. I'm interested in what is new stuff they may have added.
Ken
Ken, I am not a great judge since my previous copy has been lost in the dark corners of the attic for years. Of course the Preface of the book talks to some of the changes.

Here's a shot of the Table of Contents:

MH Index.jpg

As in the past, each of the sections has its own index in front of that section. For example the Machine Operations section has a four page index.

I expected it to be CNC heavy and centric since I had seen that mentioned here on the forum and elsewhere. Not sure I would agree on that. While the book does have a new chapter on Micromachining and two chapters on CNC, the total number of pages dedicated to these topics are only about 64 out of the total 2886 pages.

The Preface indicates updates are related to far more than just the topic of CNC. One example is a greatly expanded metric content.

BTW, sure glad I bought the large print format.

I bought the 25th edition large print on ebay for $50.00. I don't think the owner ever opened it, it is pristine. I also bought the 25th edition handbook guide on Amazon. They are both filled with more information than I could use in 3 lifetimes. I have the cd version 24th and 22nd and I use them the most. I can get to where i need to go much quicker with the CD versions.

Roy

thanks for tubing my brain flips blew the dust off, mine is eleventh edition, and
was always usefull as WW I I tangled cross- Atlantic production ----- BLJHB

Back