Machinist's tool chest

Hide glue isn't "special" so much as it is traditional, but it's very friendly to reworking. However, you have to melt it and it's rather fragrant.

I've used pressure-sensitive felt from McMaster for a protractor case, seemed to work fine. Wally-world stuff probably had some sort of nasty adhesive on it. I think the McMaster felt was wool, but the stuff Gerstner sells is 100% acrylic.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Actually, Gerstner made black leatherette-covered chests for years. You can still get the material from them for restoring old chests, every though they haven't sold new ones in leatherette in decades.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I remember my first Kennedy machinist box, a graduation gift from my aunt. She was a line worker at Kennedy Manufacturing. At the time (1979) she got an employee discount, and her cost on the box was $27.00. She also got me other tool boxes and roller cabinets that were "seconds" at very discounted prices.

Hide glue is readily available as a liquid. I thin it a bit to glue the felt in the boxes I make from time to time. Gerstner sells felt ($$$$$$$), but I use quality pool table felt. Never a corrosion problem................Bob

Or, you would rather spend your money on tools, not on tool boxes.
It is a joke my friend, many here start threads about "machinists tool boxes" especially the wooden ones.
I have worked full time in the business for 30 years, I use whatever works for me, I have no preferences other then that.
Currently use this Husky box that has a good deal of small shallow drawers, a good bit more expensive then a home shop would like I suspect +$500.00 yet does what I need.

Gerstner boxes have felt in them. The bottoms of the drawers are made of galvanized steel right?

Yep . Steel bottoms . I have a leather covered box dated 1937 .

Yes........ I use aluminum in mine. Easier to cut and a bit less weight..................Bob

Back