Machtac

A few things that were nice about the Machtach was the SFM, ability to use various triggers (LED, magnetic sensor and gear tooth sensor), as well as setting the number of trigger counts per revolution in one simple compact package. Otherwise one can by a cheap tach for around $12 which works just fine for most people. But I am open to alternatives if they do not need to be reprogrammed for different applications. The Machtach in quantity I assume would be around $30-40 in parts.

I don't mean to take anything away from the creator of the MachTach but, all of the various functions are just software. I just priced the components (single quantity) on Amazon at $27 for the Arduino, power supply, LCD display, and the rotary encoder. Add an enclosure and the trigger of your choice and you are done. No programmer is required and the software necessary to get the Arduino running is free. Configuration for SFM, RPM, counts per revolution, etc are all done via the rotary encoder and LCD. No programming skills required once someone writes the application.

When my MachTach packed it in, I built one with an Arduino Nano. Amazing how little hardware you need. It has a glitch that keeps it from displaying a steady value, but I've left that project to go on to a much bigger - a go-to drive for an 8" telescope.

There is a lot of information and hardware available for Arduino, including tutorial video courses. No time like the present to get into it.

You make some good points however not everyone can or wants to reinvent the wheel. This is a proven design with an already designed PCB, code, and manual. It is easy to duplicate and people are comfortable with it.

I've priced the PCB from ExpressPCB and they are $14 in quantities of 25. That does make for an expensive project for someone comfortable with Arduinos. The Tach is basically a pulse counter with a display. An Arduino with a serial LCD display can be put together for not much more than the $20 you quoted.

As the PIC code is now in the public domain, one could use it as a model for an Arduino sketch. Are you volunteering?
Try these guys (in China) for PCB:

You will be surprised at the price, delivery time and quality.

I used them multiple times including assembly where they will source the parts for you at an attractive price. Might be the way to go for a group purchase.

Ariel

Where did this get to? Did anyone collate an order?

I found out the pcb's from Express PCB is $181 for 10 and 10 MachTach IC's is $50

Reactions: Z2V
I’m in if someone moves forward with this

I would be in for 5 if someone is interested in doing an order.

I would be in for 5 if someone is interested in doing an order.

I would've been in for some also, but just got 10 boards and IC's, I didn't really need 10 but the difference in price of the boards made it more economical to purchase 10.
With my location, New Zealand, it isn't practical for me to collate an order either.
But if either of you want to send me an email nzkiwishooter at gmail.com, I might be able to help either of you achieve something

Back