Made a 14" table saw

Well, I have spent the last 2 days chain sawing in 30C heat and high humidity so I am going to give it a break till after X'mas, got most of the logs that I wanted ripped in half, which still leaves about another 7-8m left of the tree but I think I have enough to last me for a while, I will probably cut some rounds to take home for my wood lathe and will cut the rest for him into firewood sized round pieces as he has a smaller saw. Started to rip the Ironbark today, did the smaller log but will have to think about the big piece of trunk as it is odd shaped and the centre has rotted out. My chain bar is only 28" on the Husky so if I do try to take a piece of it, it will have to be cut from both sides.

The first pic is of some of the half logs, the rest I have already taken home. The second pic is of the ironbark stump and a small section of what is left, apparently he had several trees which all ended up being cut up for firewood by some other guys before me, they were only after timber for firewood so that is all that they left.

I still have 2 more trips to finish up there, I estimate that each half log weighs approx 200kg, so will have about 1800Kg out of that tree and leaving about half behind.

Cheers

Ed.

Lemon Gum split trunks IMG_0828.jpg Ironbark trunkIMG_0830.jpg

Re: Made a 14" table saw- almost finished

Finished off the blade/dust cover today.

Pic.15 Roughly cut the shape out of 3mm steel sheet and the back is out of 50mm x 8mm Flat bar. Except I stuffed up and tacked the 100mm SS tube on the wrong side of the plate, didn't notice it till it was all welded up and then had to cut that side and the tube off and reweld.
Pic 16. Left side of cover with 4mm Polycarbonate plastic sheet bolted to the frame on both sides, this enables me to see both side of the blade when it's working.
Pic. 17. Right side of the cover.
Pic. 18. A simple Y junction with 100mm tube and a 40mm side tube for the bottom guard.
The two hoses get connected to it and then a single 100mm extraction hose connects the lot to the 2HP extractor.

The cover and the holding arm are fully adjustable and the bar holding it is from 20mm solid bar.

15. Blade-dust cover cut out IMG_0831.jpg 16. Blade-Dust cover left side IMG_0838.jpg 17. Blade-dust cover right sideIMG_0839.jpg 18. Y joint IMG_0836.jpg

Re: Made a 14" table saw - Finally made a video of it working.

Hi Guys, well I finally made a video of it working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64e4yb9xEk8&feature=youtu.be

Just a short video of my home made 3 phase table saw cutting wood, with the 2.4m extension table attached.

First piece of timber to be ripped was a 2.3m lemon scented gum tree 120+mm high and the second is a piece of Camphor Laural about the same height but was much easier to cut than the gum tree. It has a 4HP motor, 4060RPM unloaded spindle speed, 350mm 24 tooth blade. The blade guard is set a bit high as every piece I cut before was a different height so just left it at that height, which resulted in a bit of sawdust escaping. Apart from that it worked out OK.

I had to redo the bearings on it, the cheapo bearings I put in originally self destructed after about 5 hours cutting, so I ended up with putting in a set of 30mm ID pillow blocks, and so far after another 5 hours cutting these ones are working well with the running temps up to 55-60C which is well within the normal range. Only thing that I don't like about them is that they need to be greased occasionally.

Why buy a table saw when you can build a better one for your needs. Great job! :thumbsup:

Back