Made a couple of mallets

Ed.

Active User
Registered
Hi all, had some time to spare so made up a couple of mallets out of some hardwood I had in the shed. Two of them are for wood chiselling and the other one is a meat tenderizing mallet for the missus, the handles were turned on a lathe and the meat mallet has 6mm stainless plates on each end, one of them is grooved and the other is just flat. I don't think that there is a steak in the country that the missus won't be able to beat into submission with this one! biggrin.gif

Cheers

Ed.

Mallets _MG_0969.jpg

Nice!
How did you attached the metal parts to the tenderizer?

Hi Marco, I prepared the surface by roughing it up and with a whole heap of little holes in the stainless, then used epoxy, I am not sure if it will stay stuck forever but if it doesn't and the ends pop off, I will weld a bolt to the underside and thread the wood to mate with it plus more epoxy. That was my first preference and I would have done it that way except that I don't have any more MIG gas at home at the moment.

Having said that, there is 25 square centimeters of surface area and this epoxy has a 150kg pull rating per centimeter, the mallet will be subjected to a shock force that could reduce the holding power considerably, but bearing in mind it's use, in that this is a meat tenderizer for hitting a piece of steak on a cutting board on a kitchen bench and not a metal hammer for bashing things in a shed, it therefore won't be subjected to any real major force, so I would assume that it should hold quite well for a long time if not forever. :thinking:

The epoxy and the polyurethane paint aren't food grade, but as my wife always covers the meat with Glad Wrap before tenderizing the steak and the actual contact surface is stainless steel, food contamination shouldn't be an issue for us either.

Cheers

Ed.

Back