Made a cube in a 1 inch ball

Jimsehr

Active User
Registered
I have made a ball in a 1 inch cube so I thought I would cube in a 1 inch ball. Just for fun.
All made on my old Logan. Made out of solid.
jimsehr

images

Very interesting, I love it, hats off to you for your patience and competence. well done.

Now tell us how, please :) Curious. Might be a good excercise to do with my grandkids....

Could you post a larger picture?

To these old eyes it looks like you made three cubes in three one inch spheres that were one piece, so maybe a 3x1 bar? Or out of three completely separate spheres that you somehow attached to each other? Or are the three just stacked on top of each other?

Bob

These are what I have been having my students make. I pass them out to school/state administrators and business representatives when they take tours of our facility. Its a cool easy project and they are awesome PR when students are looking for jobs in the area

dice.jpg

what kind of machine are these parts made on ?
Jimsehr

You can make this on a milling machine both cnc and manual its a lot easier then you think it is, the question is how many people have figured out the secret to doing it?

Depending on what material you are using you could even do it on a lathe with a 4 jaw chuck, it wouldn't be easy but it can be done.
My students make the dice out of 1.5" inch aluminum cubes and they retain most of that original size. It is the same process for doing it out of round parts

Back