Made A Shoe Stand

Ed.

Active User
Registered
I had two shop bought shoe stands but they were really flimsy and even had to zip tie them together to try and stop them from leaning.

I cut up 2 sheets of 50mm square x 4mm glav., wire mesh, clamped it to a work table bent the edges with a hammer, and fitted it to a Ironbark wood frame I built, the cross pieces have 4 x 5mm holes drilled into them which the open mesh end wires have been bent at 90 degrees and fitted into those holes. A spray coat of aluminium paint on the mesh and a couple of coats of polyurethane on the Ironbark, and good to go.

Definitely way better than those store bought ones and I can fit 12 pairs of boots on the top 2 shelves and another 12 pairs of shoes on the bottom 2 shelves. The top two shelves have more height for boots than the lower two which are for shoes.

Bending mesh angles on table.jpg

Finished shoe rack.jpg

Really nice , but I only have 3 pair of shoes. I would need to downsize it.

WAAAAAAAY TO SMALL for my shoes

I like design, nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's talking about making this for his wife!!! Wait a minute, I have more shoes than my wife.

I'm the 'shoe person' in our household and the collection overflowed the master suite dressing room some time ago.

Storing the excess in the basement was the logical next step (I hate to get rid of shoes - they generally are paired with a specific outfit)

I took a section of 6" square mesh field fence purchased at our local farm store and cut three pieces out of it, then trimmed and bent the wire ends to form hinge pins. I cut, punched and formed a couple of pieces of 1/4" x 2" steel bar into angle brackets for wall mounting and to accommodate the field fence pieces and voila! A two-sided shoe rack that holds 24 pair of my stilettos per section.

Sadly, it's still not enough room for my shoes. <Sigh>

Front side and rear side photos - see 'hinge' in rear view lower right.

ShoeRack_1.jpg ShoeRack_2.jpg

Detail of hinge made from 1/4" x 2" bar stock, bolted to wall and field fence trimming and bending
ShoeRack_3.jpg

Stu, that's a lot a shoes :)

Last edited:
You could always go with the Tim the Tool Man system.

Back