Made a Specialty Screw

Cloud9

Registered
Registered
So I purchased a used Micrometer Carriage Stop for my South Bend 10k Lathe, but when it arrived, the lock screw was bent with a tiny crack in the threads. I tried to heat it and then straighten it, but as you can guess, the head snapped off instead. I decided to make a new one, but the head was knurled and I didn't have a knurling tool. Well eBay solved that problem with a nice new Aloris knurling tool. I found some 4130 steel bar and went to work turning it down, single-pointing the 10-24 threads and then parting it off. I decided to blue it to help resist rust in the future. The screw turned out very well and fits perfectly, but doesn’t have the cool text stamped into the head like the old one.

Attachments

• IMG_5734-Web.jpg
    IMG_5734-Web.jpg
    825.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5736-Web.jpg
    IMG_5736-Web.jpg
    639.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5737-Web.jpg
    IMG_5737-Web.jpg
    725.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5739-Web.jpg
    IMG_5739-Web.jpg
    827 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5740-Web.jpg
    IMG_5740-Web.jpg
    775.1 KB · Views: 43
Well done sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool,

I'd be tempted to cut the threads off the old bolt head, drill and tap a blind hole and locktite, epoxy or solder a new screw into the head. Then you'd get to have the lettering. Maybe not bother to tap it, just solder.

Tim

Yeah, I may drill the old head, cut off a 10-24 allen screw and braze it in the hole. But this one works great and maybe I won't worry about it.

Or... take your new screw to an engraving shop.

Or tie a string around your finger so you'll remember what the screw is for. ;)

Tom

Back