Made in USA doesn't always guarantee quality.. NOS drill bit with poor grind.

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I always hear how crappy stuff is if it's not American made.. I throw on that pile too .. But not all is so great, so time to fess up.. Look at that tip..
POC.. made in USA... I'm not going to say who the manufacturer is, but this one missed quality control. This is a drill bit from the 60s.
Made_in_USA_Drill_bit.jpg

Last edited:
I always hear how crappy stuff is if it's not American made.. I throw on that pile too .. But not all is so great, so time to fess up.. Look at that tip..
POC.. made in USA... I'm not going to say who the manufacturer is, but this one missed quality control. This is a drill bit from the 60s.
View attachment 391760
Can't tell that much from the photo. Can you zoom in and focus on the tip? Tip seems blunt, but it's fuzzy. Or I'm ignoring the elephant in the room!

As for low quality parts getting though, even locally produced, yeah, it happens. Rates may vary depending on locale, but it happens. If I had bought that new, I would have exchanged it for a good unit. For NOS, there's no way to do that with the manufacturer if they've gone under.

Can't tell that much from the photo. Can you zoom in and focus on the tip? Tip seems blunt, but it's fuzzy. Or I'm ignoring the elephant in the room!

As for low quality parts getting though, even locally produced, yeah, it happens. Rates may vary depending on locale, but it happens. If I had bought that new, I would have exchanged it for a good unit. For NOS, there's no way to do that with the manufacturer if they've gone under.
take a look at the relief. Instead of going down on the left side of the tip, it goes up...
That's the elephant.. it will never cut.

edit: BTW we are cutting images down so far, that this is about 45% of the size I uploaded. It's only 810kb so not a big image, but the size has been reduced. Original is 952x 1535 sorry.. but I provided a good image.

I've received new usa drill bits where they missed grinding one side of tip. 10 to 20% of time there are burrs or chips on the wings. Why I learned to re sharpen.

take a look at the relief. Instead of going down on the left side of the tip, it goes up...
That's the elephant.. it will never cut.

edit: BTW we are cutting images down so far, that this is about 45% of the size I uploaded. It's only 810kb so not a big image, but the size has been reduced. Original is 952x 1535 sorry.. but I provided a good image.
You are right. It was the elephant! I had to take a drill bit from my desk and compare my bit with the picture. I see the (obvious, now that you pointed it out,) lack of relief.

It's funny, the drill bit I used as a comparison had a quality issue. The very tip broke off in use, although I don't remember it happening. Was drilling some stainless on my lathe. Must have paused, (work hardened) and pushed ahead? My "cobalt" bit came from the far east, but maybe I inadvertently abused the bit. It was expensive to replace with a good, domestically sourced, real cobalt drill bit.

Yeah, the automatic photo compression here is not working that well. Makes many of the images muddy and blurred. In the past ,one could really zoom into photos to look at the tiniest, crispest details. Fine details and high pixel photos come at the expense of storage cost, which is why there eventually had to be some kind of change. However, still think there could be better better solution than the current one.

Yeah, the automatic photo compression here is not working that well. Makes many of the images muddy and blurred. In the past ,one could really zoom into photos to look at the tiniest, crispest details. Fine details and high pixel photos come at the expense of storage cost, which is why there eventually had to be some kind of change. However, still think there could be better better solution than the current one.

Couldn’t agree more. Very disappointed with this site’s image quality lately.

just moved upstairs to my larger monitor, not the laptop screen, it's not as bad as I thought (image wise).
But it is falling apart on smaller monitors, which the original is not.

When I download the image, it is only 39 KB and 447 x 720 pixels. 810 KB vs 39KB, so the image will look blurry compared to the original. It seems to me that this site is using an aggressive, lossy compression algorithm. There's an issue posted on this, but it's still showing as in progress. Was the image posted as a jpeg (jpg)?

When I download the image, it is only 39 KB and 447 x 720 pixels. 810 KB vs 39KB, so the image will look blurry compared to the original. It seems to me that this site is using an aggressive, lossy compression algorithm. There's an issue posted on this, but it's still showing as in progress. Was the image posted as a jpeg (jpg)?
yes

Back